Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TEAGANANSEL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Reporting Cash Basis versus Accrual Basis Income
    Please help, I'm confused.

Music Company had the following transactions in March:
    a. Sold instruments to customers for $10,000; received $6,000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instruments was $7,000.
    b. Purchased $4,000 of new instruments inventory; paid $1,000 in cash and owed the rest on account.
    c. Paid $600 in wages for the month.
    d. Received a $200 bill for utilities that will be paid in April.
    e. Received $1,000 from customers as deposits on orders of new instruments to be sold to the customers in April.
    Complete the following statements:
    Cash Basis Income Statement Accrual Basis Income Statement
    Revenues: Revenues:
    Cash sales $ Sales to customers $
    Customer deposits
    Expenses: Expenses:
    Inventory purchases Cost of sales
    Wages paid Wages expense
    Utilities expense
    Cash income $ Net income $
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 02:02 AM
    The trick here is that the accrued basis records revenues and expenses when they happen. The cash basis records revenues and expenses when the cash happens.

I would try going through the list twice. Do it the first time thinking accrued basis, and then do it all again thinking of cash basis. It's easier to get your mind-set going one direction and keep in there and finish. And then start over.

Just as an example, let's say that you do work for someone this month but they do not pay you until next month.

For the accrued basis, you would recognize the earnings in May because that is when you actually did the work. The work is the earnings. So you need to be concentrating on when the earnings happened and ignore the cash.

For the cash basis, you need to pay attention to the cash and ignore the earnings. In this case, the cash is paid to you in June, so the revenue would be recorded in June when you get paid.

Try to use this information and see what you can get done on this.
    Rafiel Harri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    The trick here is that the accrued basis records revenues and expenses when they happen. The cash basis records revenues and expenses when the cash happens.

I would try going through the list twice. Do it the first time thinking accrued basis, and then do it all again thinking of cash basis. It's easier to get your mind-set going one direction and keep in there and finish. And then start over.

Just as an example, let's say that you do work for someone this month but they do not pay you until next month.

For the accrued basis, you would recognize the earnings in May because that is when you actually did the work. The work is the earnings. So you need to be concentrating on when the earnings happened and ignore the cash.

For the cash basis, you need to pay attention to the cash and ignore the earnings. In this case, the cash is paid to you in June, so the revenue would be recorded in June when you get paid.

Try to use this information and see what you can get done on this.
    I don't know
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 10:42 PM

Will someone please explain to me why people come on and just say "I don't know."??

(Please also note the thread is over a year old.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash basis income statement vs. Accrual basis income statement [ 5 Answers ]

What is the difference between a cash-basis income statement and an accrual-basis income statement? For example, how would I record a cash basis income statement for April, May, and June, if the company started in April? HELP!

Accrual and cash basis accounting [ 2 Answers ]

In its first year of operations, Harden Co. earned $39,000 in revenues and received $33,000 cash from These customers. The company incurred expenses of $22,500 but had not paid $2,250 of them at yearend. Harden also prepaid $3,750 cash for expenses that would be incurred the next year. Calculate...

Reporting cash basis versus accrual basis income [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me. I am an online student and new to accounting. Forllowing transactions in March. Do both cash basis and accrual basis income a) Sold instrument to customers for $10,000; received $6000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instrument was $7000 b)Purchased $4000 of...

Adjustments Accrual Cash Basis [ 2 Answers ]

The Ritz Manor is a popular seaside resort. A double room costs $220 for one night. In order to reserve a room, guests must pay one night’s stay in advance. On each floor of the hotel, Vendalite Company operates vending machines with energy bars, juices, and other snacks for guests. Vendalite...

View more questions Search