Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benny1234 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Advantages and Disadvantages of Union Membership?
    I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are for ANY union. Any help would be appreciated! :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Firstly, scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and there are a ton of similar posts to yours that could help.

I personally did not like the union I worked under. They just took my money and never did anything to help me or where I worked.

May 15, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Thank you ChihuahuaMomma! :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
    You are welcome, of course some unions could be different. I'm not speaking for all.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Unions are like guns, better to have them, and don't need them, than to need them, but don't have them. My whole family are dues paying union members.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2008, 01:00 AM
    I was raised in a "company" family and married into a "union" family! I see both sides so clearly. I believe we need unions to keep the companies who are not union from treating their employees unfairly, regarding wages, days off, etc. There are good unions that are so effective and there are weak unions who give unions a bad name.

Some companies will always treat their employees well and be fair but for those who don't, there has to be someone watching out for their rights. If those type companies know that if their employees are treated unfairly, there is an organizer willing to step in and help, the company generally will step up to the plate and do the right thing.

My husband worked for a good strong union, looked out for their employees, the Business Agent located the jobs (a lot of travel was required in his kind of work).

Advantages to being a union member is that you have an advocate to stand up for you if there has been a wrong done to you in the work place. There are generally many more safety precautions taken for the workers safety when union than when not. Business agents locate jobs for you in such trades as Pipefitters, sprinklerfitters, welders, construction workers who work on a job then when that job is completed must have another job to move on to. You do pay dues which seem to be a little steep at times but when a member passes away, there is a "death benefit" paid to the family to help with funeral expenses or expenses where needed. Our insurance is out of this world wonderful. Pays 100% Rx for my husband and 75% Rx for me. Retirement is good also. Keep in mind, we are talking about good strong unions who care and look out for their members. There was a union here in town where all the employees did was pay money for dues and never saw benefit. The union never stepped in when needed to help protect the workers rights.

I can share more later if you wish. Others will post who have different views and experiences than we have but with all the posts together, you will be able to make your mind up as to what you feel the pluses and minuses are to being a union member. Best to you!

May 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Thanks to everyone that's posted! Its really helped me with my assignment! :) :) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantages and Disadvantages [ 1 Answers ]

What are some advantages and disadvantages of GDP (Gross Domestic Product)?:confused:

The advantages and disadvantages of union membership for retail workers. [ 1 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of union membership for retail workers?

Union advantages and disadvantages [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a union member?

What is labor union and what is advantages and disadvantages of it? [ 1 Answers ]

What is labor union and what is advantages and disadvantages of it?

Advantages and disadvantages [ 7 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a union member

View more questions Search