Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pddave40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 05:23 PM
    IE will only go some sites,not all. How do I access all sites?
    I had to remove malware from my PC and when it restarted, it will not recognize certain websites. How can I fix this?

Thanks, Dave

I used Spyware doctor from PC tools. I loaded Firefox and the same thing is occurring. It won't load webpages from Yahoo or wamu and a few other sites. I can go most places. I have been trying patches to ei7. But that has failed also. Any help wold be greatly appreciated.
    Dave.
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

May 14, 2008, 12:31 AM
    Which websites will it not recognise? Try another browser like firefox or opera Opera browser: Home page and let us know if you can access these sites through these browsers.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 03:13 AM
    I agree with the answer above and just wanted to also ask, what kind of malware was it and how did you remove it?
    pddave40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pddave40
    I had to remove malware from my pc and when it restarted, it will not recognize certain websites. how can i fix this?

Thanks, Dave
    I used Spyware doctor from PC tools. I loaded Firefox and the same thing is occurring. It won't load webpages from Yahoo or wamu and a few other sites. I can go most places. I have been trying patches to ei7. But that has failed also. Any help wold be greatly appreciated.
    Dave.
    37337 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Let's try to simplify this for a minute. If you are a home user, you are not running any kind of parental control software and you know you should be able to access these sites for no other reason, check your hosts file. Many warez like to hijack this file and point common sites like you just listed to different ip addresses like 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1 is your local system it basically means phone home.) to fool your systems into not displaying those websites.

Your hosts file can be opened in notepad and is located here in Windows XP: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Here is what an unhijacked hosts file looks like:

a# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem Removing Sites From IE6 Restricted Sites Zone [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I recently removed all of the entries that SpywareBlaster v3.5.1 had automatically loaded into my restricted sites zone on IE6 browser and I noticed that there were still two sites that weren't deleted in the process. I then remembered that I had manually added them to the restricted...

How can I get around my school blocked sites? They even got proxy sites blocked. [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get around my school blocked sites. They even got our proxy sites blocked> is their any other way?

Sites [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get the registration information for a web site if it is not a registrar listed at the whois/internic. I know that the info (date of expiration of domain etc) is out there but I forget where. Thanks

View more questions Search