Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

May 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Puzzled about Prilosec being a possible appetite stimulant?
    I know there are people that have more important and serious questions, but I am puzzled. A few months ago, I lost my appetite. That is no small feat for me. I am a big woman and I enjoy my food. All I was able to eat was a piece of toast in the morning, and that was only to keep my strength up so I could work. If I ate anything else, I became nauseous. I waited about a week and a half to go to the doctor, as I figured my appetite would come back. But it didn't. She made me take Prilosec OTC, (I had to buy the pack with a 14? Day supply), and said that my appetite should start coming back with in a week, but I had to finish the whole pack (1 a day) even if I did feel better. It did help and I did get my appetite back slowly. I went back to the doctor after the first week. I asked her what it was that made my appetite go away and what the prilosec did to help, but she didn't answer me, just told me to make sure I finished the pack. I'm totally puzzled. I obviously wasn't sick. I have no clue what the Prilosec did. Was it just in my head that I was sick so somewhere in my head I thought the Prilosec would help? Any body have any clue what the heck happened and can explain to me?

Thanks

Daisy
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 13, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Wow, that's something new to me. LOL

Apparently you may have had a digestive upset that the Prilosec helped with. Without specific lab tests I can't tell you what made your appetite go away. Prilosec is used, as you know, to treat heartburn or GERD, so she was treating your upset nausea with that.

Good to hear that you have finally gotten your appetite back. I wish I could give you a better response, but you could do well to call your pharmacist and ask what the drug did to help. They are better with the chemical components of the medication and how they work on the systems of the body.
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

May 13, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Thanks for the answer. I know it was an odd situation, so getting a specific answer was unlikely, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Asking the pharmacist is a good idea, though. I didn't think of that.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 14, 2008, 07:43 AM
    As noted by J9, prilosec is used to treat gerd/ indigestion / heart burn, peptic ulcer disease, esophagitis. These conditions tend to reduce appetite, as you noted.

When the underlying condition that reduced your appetite, or at least made it difficult to eat normally, is treated your appetite returned to normal.

There is nothing in the PDR about prilosec increasing appetite.

Prilosec works by reducing stomach acid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puzzled [ 2 Answers ]

I heard this one guy's dead, but he say's "rape me, rape my friend, rape me, rape me again." Now I know this sounds like Elvis, or Frank Sinatra, but who sings this song. I know it's from the 50's and everyone was swingin' to it back in the day, just who is the artist? I heard he liked shot guns...

Side Affects of Prilosec [ 3 Answers ]

My doctor told me I could keep taking Prilosec OTC, rather than actually going to a prescription med, as long as I watched for certain side affects. Not something I really wanted to discuss on here (I almost got a new ID just for this question LOL), but one of those things is black stools. What...

Stimulant Check amount [ 7 Answers ]

How is the amount of stimulant check determine?

About stimulant tax [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get another paper from social security saying what received this year. So I can file for stimulant tax.

Puzzled [ 3 Answers ]

A girl who I like and have liked for a long time. Never seemed interested in me, It happens ! However I saw her out with a man, who I have seen her with before and she made a bee line across the pub to introduce him to me as her new boyfriend ! I can't figure out why ? Anythoughts on...

View more questions Search