Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirley12 Posts: 13, Reputation: -2

Aug 11, 2008, 12:16 PM
    You take this real seriously, huh.
    Sorry I took it off the board. I suppose I don't know the etiquette of online advice boards.
    I didn't know there were any!

I promise to never ever take anything off the board again. I now know what a serious offense it is... maybe you should give me another year or so of probation for it...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shirley12
    No. This is different. Also, I will not have a "record" since I wasn't ever convicted of anything...I was sentenced under first offender. It is not on my record. thanks....i guess. you know people shouldn't respond if all they have to say is "ask your attorney" DUH!

I was hoping to get responses from people who have experience and/or knowledge about early termination....

I do background checks for a living. The question will be "have you ever been arrested" (in NYS), not "do you have a record," IF you are applying for a teaching certificate in NYS. I see the same thing in PA and Ohio.

Can't speak for other States -

Duh! - Why aren't you asking your Attorney these questions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 01:25 PM
    I agree as far as being allowed to teach in many states the schools will not hire you with drug record. And even if it is sealed or hidden or whatever from a typical work reference background some places have special liberties to check deeper than the average business does.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shirley12
    thanks everyone for answering. i don't expect a magic answer, of course not. I guess I'm just a desperate 22 year old looking for answers on the internet. You guys really showed me the ugly side of the law.

I will keep you updated. Hopefully I will have good news next time. But, from what I read from you, I won't.

Seriously, thanks.

You didn't expect a "magic answer" huh, could have fooled us.

We are all volunteers on this site, by the way, and enjoy helping answer questions no matter what the subject is.

And yes, by all means, let us know the outcome if you do decide to pursue the termination of probation. We're here to help when someone asks for the truth and not fairy tales and we like to hear outcomes and how the probationer fared in front of the Judge. Although you might feel we rained on your happy parade, quite the contrary, miss, we told you the truth, you just didn't want to hear it.

How about this fairy tale? I see a man in black robes telling you you are going to be released by probation due to the fact the Judge thinks you are a great person and have totally changed from 1 1/2 years ago having been in possession of a teensey weensey bit of cocaine.

Happy now? (not to be disrespectful, but at least that answer will make you happy)

Oh yes, and we are very serious on this board as law is not to be taken lightly and we here know that.

Aug 11, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Oh my oh my. Fairy tales? What gave you the warped idea that I wanted to hear fairy tales? This is getting absolutely ridiculous. All I asked for was the truth, the truth not dripped in patronizing and negative connotations. I felt your response was driven by negativity and cruelty. It would've been a much different matter if you had stated what you stated with perhaps an end-note like "but good luck to you." You have pegged me wrong.. I am not some dreamy, naïve criminal like you think I am. I am a girl who STUPIDLY used a very bad and illegal drug and got caught for it (thank God) and am now a college graduate with hope and dreams for my future. And, mind you, I was arrested 3.5 years ago and have been happily clean, sober and repentant for all of those years (and my record shows this). I wrote on this message board for a kind of hopeful help! For some kind of glimmer in this darkness I live every day and have lived for years. I am truly sorry for offending anyone... I suppose I am just a sensitive and perhaps idealistic creature..
    And, trust me, I know the law is not to be taken lightly.. I probably know this more than you... I just didn't know an online advice board was synonymous with the supreme court.

Aug 11, 2008, 09:54 PM
    p.s.
    I wrote on this message board over the weekend when my lawyer was out of her office. And today, Monday, I spoke to my lawyer. I'm sorry my zealousness started this whole thing. I should've waited, because, God knows, I am sorry I had to read your remarks.

You have made me feel like a common criminal. The law might be black and white, but thank God I don't see the world that way.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 02:34 AM
    I don't think anybody was trying to make you feel like a common criminal but just let you know the law can be too cut and dry AND work against you.
    You may be the model BUT the law doesn't go by personality/character judgment. They will generally cut you some slack for being a first time offender and being a model probationer and proving you've changed your ways but they still have to follow the law on some things like if they have to put it on your record or if they have to give you jail time or probation time and can not just say time served and things like that.
    You may not 'see the world that way' but the reality is that many people live it everyday. Many people are railroaded by the court system while way worse criminals get hardly a slap on the wrist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probation transfer [ 4 Answers ]

I was put on probation and my transfer was put in on dec. 4 to pa how much longer do I have to wait until it goes through and will pa approve it if fl approved it

Probation transfer [ 2 Answers ]

Need to know if I can transfer my probation to North Carolina from Michigan.I need the site to do my applocation and I have two assalt charges and 18 mouths probation

Probation transfer from WI. [ 3 Answers ]

My friend was living in Tennessee and got a little behind on his child support after 22 years of paying religiously, and was extradited to Wisconsin and spent a year in jail there. They let him out with time served and one year's probation almost 2 months ago. He has been trying to get transferred...

Probation transfer [ 1 Answers ]

What is the estimated fee for probation transfer

View more questions Search