Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iplaylespaul Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Correct pvc shower drain for sterling #62040100 60" seated shower receptor
    Has anyone installed a sterling 60" seated shower receptor with wall surrounds on a concrete slab. The new unit did not come with a shower drain. there is a hole in the bottom That is 3-5/16" (8.4cm) and it calls for a drilled hole in slab oor foundation of 4-1/2" (11.4cm). the old drain line is 1-1/2" so I will have to go down to that size, but do not know what size drain I should use with this unit.
    Mfr's. Installation instructions call for installing drain by drain mfr's instructions, and not other info.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2008, 12:17 PM
    I am still working on an answer for your situation buth that sounds like a tub drain and not a shower drain in the floor. Is it a pipe sticking straight up through the concrete or a boxed area in the floor?

May 14, 2008, 04:23 AM
    The original drain was for a bathtub, but I installed a corner shower 15 years ago. The new shower I am installing appears to call for a 2" min drainthat will eed to be decreased to 1-1/2" to tie in with existing drain. Yes it is a boxed tub drain with line and p trap sticking out
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Are you required to pull a building permit in your city, if so they will likely tuyrn you down since you need a 2" drain.

May 14, 2008, 06:57 PM
    No permit required
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2008, 04:27 AM
    Iplaylespaul:

I am sure a permit is required... you're just not pulling one... ;)

You want the shower to be set in a bed of modified thinset mortar or similar.

You want the drain pipe and ptrap to be directly below the shower drain.

You want to install a normal 2" pvc NO CALK shower drain (see pic... can be brass or plastic), then you want to install a 2" x 1.5" reducing coupling as low as possible, then stub up high with 2" pipe. By stubbing up high for now you can concentrate on setting the base and come back and finish drain later.

INSTALLATION:

Then install the NO CALK shower drain assembly to receptor using a mildew resistant silicone caulking, then set unit in the bed of mortar at this time, level base front to back and side to side... then leave it alone for 24-48 hours... just make sure no mortar squeezed up and into the shower drain assembly... (if did then will need to clean out with rag and pencil or similar 'till cleaned).

Next day can install the NO CALK rubber donut by sliding it down and over pipe... then use an inside pipe cutter (see pic.)to cut the pipe down to the correct height and then slide and set the collar ring using tool they provide you (tie the tool on a long string in case it gets dropped into drain)... then snap cover in place.

Practice making straight cuts with an inside pipe cutter on scrap piece of pipe before using on the shower pipe.

Let us know if have any questions... MARK

Attached Images

May 15, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Iplaylespaul:

I am sure a permit is required...you're just not pulling one...;)

You want the shower to be set in a bed of modified thinset mortar or similar.

You want the drain pipe and ptrap to be directly below the shower drain.

You want to install a normal 2" pvc NO CALK shower drain (see pic...can be brass or plastic), then you want to install a 2" x 1.5" reducing coupling as low as possible, then stub up high with 2" pipe. By stubbing up high for now you can concentrate on setting the base and come back and finish drain later.

INSTALLATION:

Then install the NO CALK shower drain assembly to receptor using a mildew resistant silicone caulking, then set unit in the bed of mortar at this time, level base front to back and side to side...then leave it alone for 24-48 hours...just make sure no mortar squeezed up and into the shower drain assembly...(if did then will need to clean out with rag and pencil or similar 'till cleaned).

Next day can install the NO CALK rubber donut by sliding it down and over pipe...then use an inside pipe cutter (see pic.)to cut the pipe down to the correct height and then slide and set the collar ring using tool they provide you (tie the tool on a long string in case it gets dropped into drain)...then snap cover in place.

Practice making straight cuts with an inside pipe cutter on scrap piece of pipe before using on the shower pipe.

Let us know if have any questions...MARK

Thanks, sounds good

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 piece Sterling/Kohler shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a 4 piece shower unite (L&R side wall, back wall & base) in a house that I am remodeling. My father has suggested heavily, that I need to tile around the upper portion and down the sides of the unit. I would prefer not to. What is the correct procedure in an instance such as...

Shower receptor/pan drain leaks [ 4 Answers ]

A new Florestone acrylic shower receptor was installed in a 2nd floor shower as part of a shower wall retiling project. The drain is 2" copper. The receptor was installed but the rubber seal that came with the receptor was for PVC so it was not installed prior to the retiling job. A Florestone...

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

How do you install an acrylic shower receptor using "setting bed" cement? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you install an acrylic showwer receptor using "setting bed" cement? The sub floor is good and the hole for the drain is 5" as recommended. How do you actually form the setting bed so the receptor is level? 48" x 34" and that's all the space I have to work with.

Tightening drain to shower receptor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm about to attach the drain (Kohler K-9132) to the acrylic shower receptor (Kohler K-9543). How do I tighten the nut that holds the drain in place? The nut is about a quarter inch thick and 4.5" in diameter with indented grip places. This is larger than any wrench I own. When I have...

View more questions Search