Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaysscholar Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 12:11 AM
    Blocking a web page - Firefox
    I want to simply block a webpage. I'm using Firefox. This may be simple, but I could use a little help. Thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 24, 2006, 01:56 AM
    When you say "block" do you mean to restrict access to it completely.
    If so the easiest way is to adjust your hosts file, located in Windows/system32/drivers/etc, with this simple line
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       whatever.com
    This will stop access to the site completely, whatever browser you use.

Feb 25, 2006, 11:35 AM
    All right, would that number be the same no matter what the site is?
    And how excatly do I open up the hosts file to adjust it? With what program?

Are there any alternative ways?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Yes, that IP address is a loop back so it would be the same. Your hosts files is a plain text file that can be edited in Nootepad.

Feb 26, 2006, 04:38 AM
    Thank you. Worked just fine.
    I appreciate it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox: Saving a web page to my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes when I save as a webpage to my computer, then the page saves as one .html file. Other times it saves as the .html file but also with a folder with other files. Why is this? Can I force it to save as just one file without the extra folder? Thanks!

Page distorted when viewing in Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

The page: www.stgabrielradio.com In IE it's fine, but in FF the graphic at the bottom of the page has a tweak on it - at the left. How do I fix it? ... and how do I avoid things like this in the future? Thanks!

Home Page Diverted in Firefox [ 3 Answers ]

Whenever I start up Firefox, my home page (a local file) comes up for a second and then is diverted to something like: http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/1069001133/?random=11... This is a blank screen. This is a new problem, and does not occur with Internet Explorer. If I...

Reload page in Firefox [ 4 Answers ]

OK, a bit trivial... but I'm curious. I understand that hitting the Reload button compares the page with the server and if the same, shows you the cached version... Sometimes I see my flag not waving. I hit reload and it still doesn't wave... but if I hit Shift>Reload then it reloads and is...

Home Page different on IE & Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed my Yahoo home page is different in Firefox & IE. What would the reason be for this? How do you change these pages to look the same?

View more questions Search