Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arleta Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 11:29 PM
    Sewage smell
    Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 24, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arleta
    Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?
    Hi Arleta,

" (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?"
    Ya get dirty! That's how. Crawl under the houst and check for signs of moisture or wetness. This would indicate a broken /creacked pipe or a bad joint. You can't do anything until you locate the source. Good luck and keep me informed. Tom
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Hi,
    As your other answer said, crawl underneath the house. You can look for the sewage line (pipe) by looking under where the toilets are located, seeing the pipes coming from the toilets, then following them to the main sewage pipe under the house.
    Since it's coming from the front of the house, there is a good chance you have a broken pipe underneath. Same thing happened to me, and I have to "sling" lime underneath by hand, with a face mask on, to finally dry it out, and get rid of the smell. But, I had someone else fix the piping. Had to put a new pipe piece in, about 3 feet long. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in shower... [ 26 Answers ]

I don't know if this has been covered, but whenever my shower is running the smell of sewage seems to be coming up from my drain. This happens in only one bathroom, this bathroom being on the second floor. There is a 1/2 bath in the basement that hasn't been used in years, we just recently bought...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

Sewage Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the...

View more questions Search