Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Ethers, wondering
    I was wondering about ethers. Anyone's got some info? Uses, properties, or whatever. I came across it in my chem class about isomers of alcohols and also in a game, and wanted to make some kind of link. Any info is welcomed.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 09:30 AM
    I remember doing synthesis with ethers, they are very volatile so they stink! Some smell better than others.

They have the chemical group R-O-R'
    Where R and R' are alkyl groups.

Was it used as an anesthetic or a drug in the game? If so it was probably Diethyl ether they were talking about.

If you want more info read up about them on this wiki page Ether - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It pretty much answers all your posted questions.
    Rerepete Posts: 17, Reputation: -1

May 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
    DiEthyl Ether is also sold as QuickStart a spray for assisting the starting of tractors. It is a good solvent but can be explosive if not stored properly.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Hum.. the game is pokemon if you know. It was used to restore PP (power points), in fact 10PP. Okay thanks templelane and rerepete.

You (templelane) seemed absent for some time during Feb or March, isn't it?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 04:11 AM
    Maybe, I can't remember, I was quiet busy back then. Why do you ask?

I thought the game might be grand theft auto or something like that! I think the term ether is sometimes used colloquially as a an energy/spirituality term i.e. it came out of the ether. That is probably why it is used as an energy restorer during Pokémon.

May 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
    In that case I think it would be AEther, not ether...
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 03:46 AM
    No it's ETHER, MAX ETHER (for more powerful ethers: restores max PP for one move), ELIXER (for restoring 10 PP for each move) and finally MAX ELIXER (for restoring full PP for all moves.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Oh I forgot your post ^^. That's 'cause you didn't appear during then. I myself had problems with my networks, but now it's okay.

It's just that I a big fan of that game though it arrives ages after their release in the US or Europe. Mauritius is so... tiny and kind of late.

May 16, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Sounds to me that it perhaps gets its derivation from ethereal (or AEthereal), as in the ethereal plane - the plane of spirituality...
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 02:09 AM
    ^ Says nothing to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just wondering [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I'm new here my name is heather and I'm 18 years old.;) I was wondering how you track a cell phone number?

I was wondering. [ 2 Answers ]

If you know that a house was abandoned, and you pay the back taxes on the house, do that make you the legal owner?

Just wondering. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok... first let me introduce myself. I am a 21 year old senior college student studying criminal justice, criminal profiling and crime scene investigation. My story: 2 years ago, during a class, I met the most amazing person I've ever imagined. We hit it off on the first day and remained...

Just wondering. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm getting better every day, a lot of thanks to everyone on here:)... After taking my ex back over the last years like 5-6 time(!) always believing the things he said... like he realizes what a realtion ship is, I'm his soul mate, a lot of nice things, that I truly wanted to...

Just wondering [ 22 Answers ]

Ok... I had intercourse on April 5th, and 6th... then again on April 9th,10th,11th,12th,13th,and14th... Again on the 22nd, again on the 27th,28th,and29th... My last period was March 26th 2007, and I haven't had a period since.All the tests I take even at the doctors office are coming up negative......

View more questions Search