Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duffey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Hourly employee loses hours
    If an hourly employee is required to attend a training session and the session ends earlier than their normal work day hours, what is normal pay practice; pay them for their normal work day hours or only the hours they attended the training session?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

May 13, 2008, 07:10 AM
    The company is only required to pay for the time the employee attends the seminar. Many companies will pay for the whole day, but they are not required to do so. THe reason is the employee potentially could return to work for the remainder of the day after the seminar.

If the employee returns to work after the seminar he must be paid for the time driving from the seminar back to work.

If an employee is traveling out of state or out of town to attend a seminar than that employee should be paid for the 8 hour work day as he is not able to return to work after the seminar ends.

If the employee is traveling out of state or out of town for an overnight seminar he must be paid for any travel time that falls within his working week. If he works from 8 AM to 5 PM and he travels from 7 AM to 9 AM. Than he would be paid for the hour of travel time between 8 AM and 9 AM.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change salary employee to hourly due to lack of funds. [ 7 Answers ]

If you have a signed contract for a set salary, can you tell employee you want to pay them hourly due to lake of money coming into the companey?

Hourly employee working 2,080 hours a year, but is getting paid for just 1,920 [ 7 Answers ]

I am paid hourly. This year, I will work 23 days in Jan. 22 days in Feb. 22 days in March, 21 days in April, 23 days inMay, 21 days in June, 22 days in July, 23 days in Aug. 20 days in Sept. 23 days in Oct. 22 days in Nov. and 20 days in Dec. I get paid on the 1st, and the 15th of each month. My...

Salary hours vs hourly employee [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the hours that a salary employee works? Hourly is from 8-9 and salary is 40 hours (does not matter what time frame)?

NYS IT-203-B NY nonresident wage allocation hourly employee [ 1 Answers ]

I am a full time NY employee paid on an hourly basis and live in NJ. Based on how I have read the NY tax publication for IT-203-B, I can still allocate the salary such that I exclude weekends, vacation days, holidays and sick days. However, it seems that this strategy goes around the "spirit" of...

Can I Take An Employee from Salary to only Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who exhausts her salary pay by only getting less than lets say 32 hours or more sometimes a week. She is nonexempt and gets overtime for anything over 40 hours. She has assistance on the overtime and never does it alone. Can we change an employee from salary to hourly only.

View more questions Search