Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 13, 2008, 03:07 AM
    Using my own WLAN and got alert that there were two others using it
    Hi dears.

I have a Cabel modem with WLAN, use them both.
    On my laptop, I recently got the message that my WLAN connection was being used (intruded) - I looked at the diagram from 'Network Magic' which came with my laptop, and now they 'suggest' I buy the program...
    So, could this be a ploy from them to get me to purchace it or are there neighbors using my WLAN - as I don't know how to 'secure it'. Naturally, they are 'unknown' and I cannot find a control to 'delete or disconnect' them.

I probably have my paperwork with password and codes for the modem and could read the stupid german instructions - but am impatient.

I just acquired a freeware program called manage_engine - WiFi Manager and will try it and hope that it will let me get rid of unwanted users.

But if any of you wonderful computer gurus have a better idea as to what I can do please let me know.

Thanks for your time and hope you are getting a few laughs out of this - I used to want to learn all I could about computers, but with my time limited now - I just want to 'drive it' and spend as much time with my daughter and grandchild before my cancer completely takes over.

Hoping to receive a response from you soon,

Chery

Staying mellow and loyal to the end.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 13, 2008, 03:20 AM
    Certainly sounds like a sales ploy, but it might be being "stolen".
    Time to add some security.

This covers the basics: Wireless Security - WiFi Wireless Home Network Security Tips

The easiest and simplest to do is to encrypt your wireless traffic with WEP

Here's a indepth list of things to do: Securing your Wireless Network

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Configuring a WLAN adaptor [ 8 Answers ]

I have installed a Senao cd plus ext2 wireless PCMCIA card that unfortunately came without an installation CD. I downloaded and installed the drivers, and the Device Manager shows that the card is working. However, without the CD, I am unable to launch the Client Utility that would let me...

Wlan Setup [ 7 Answers ]

How To Set Up Wlan Setup? I Have Got A Laptop With Wlan Installed And A Desk Top With Whom I Want To Connect . Please Help

View more questions Search