Activate Windows XP Home
    Recently installed Windows XP Home edition ON work computer
    Do not have Internet world wide web access
    Receive prompt
    Have 11 days left to activate Windows XP

What will happen if I do not activate
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Feb 23, 2006, 09:55 PM
    I believe that Windows OS will stop working...
    You know you can do it over the phone..
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2006, 03:45 AM
    Yes, it will stop working.
    Here are the instructions from MS:

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.
    Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
    You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Hi,
    Very Good, rickj, can't make any comments as yet for "approval".
    cleancondenser Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 02:34 PM
    Can I install the Windows XP CD on more than one computer
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
    You must have a separate license for each Windows XP Home installation.
    cleancondenser Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 05:11 PM
    How do I obtain the License?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 24, 2006, 06:08 PM
    You have to purchase it.

Most computer stores can sell you a new copy of Windoe XP Home. You might be bale to find somewhere that can sell you just a license key (no CD) for a little less.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2006, 06:15 AM
    cleancondenser, you say you installed WinXP then you ask how you get a license.

... do you not have a license?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 25, 2006, 07:12 AM
    I should'nt really post just for the sake of it,but I will.Each copy of XP has it's own separate license,unique to your PC.So after you activate with MS,before the thirty days are up,their servers will "see" if your copy of XP is genuine,via their database.If not...
    That's why,if you install extra hardware,after you've activated,you can be asked,to go over the process for a second time.Illegal keys won't wash with MS,I won't say why or how,but please don't bother.Get a legal copy.It's much more fun,and honest.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cleancondenser
    Can I install the Windows XP CD on more than one computer
    I'm going to add my 2 cents in here. You don't buy software, you purchase a license to use that software. The author still owns the software. The license (referred to as the End-User License Agreement or EULA) specifies the terms by which that software can be used. Usually during the installation routine, there is a point where you have to agree to abide by the EULA and are given the opportunity to read it.

Every piece of software has its own terms for use. Generally, though the license is for installation on 1-2 PCs, with the proviso that only one is being used at a time. This is so people don't have to purchase 2 licenses for home and work or desktop and laptop. Windows, or any operating system, is licensed for ONE PC. The activation feature of Win XP is to prevent people from pirating copies and installing on multiple machines which is illegal. Any use of software in violation of the terms of the EULA is considered illegal.
    mongku Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 03:02 AM
    Stop working

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Windows xp home network setup problems [ 2 Answers ]

When I run the network setup wizard it freezes at the part where it configures the computer - it won't complete the setup and I don't know how to make it!! HELP!! :confused:

Problem with windows xp home upgrade [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to share files on a work group no domain(if fails,will try that later),I can see and share files from the home upgrade to xp pro but can't access from xp full install to upgrade? Printers work fine on both but can't dee files from xp pro full? Linksys 4 port DSL connection Tried...

Windows XP Home vs XP PRO [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences between Windows XP for Home Use, and Windows XP Professional? Does the professional version have anything more than the home edition, and if so, what does it have? Thank you!

Windows xp home edition [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I found out you can't install friend's xp! Bought new one and installed. (Installed fresh, not repair). NOW, not all of the time, but about half the time or a little more, it won't load up right and keeps re-starting and then I have to put it in safe mode and restore it to a previous day to...

Map home drive on a Mac environment from WIndows 2000 Server [ 0 Answers ]

Hopefully some one can help me I am using WIndows 2000 Server and have created user accounts on active directory. The lab which the user are going to access this server are using emacs running OS 10.2 & 10.3. I am trying to give user a home directory in which they can save work. -I need a...

View more questions Search