Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    been40 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Ground rods type, clips and installation technique
    I went to the electrical section of our local chain home center and noticed that
    they have ground rods in two sizes, and two different material. There was one
    that had light gray, dull silver color, (I assume it's galvanized metal) and it's
    diameter looked like was 5/8 inch. The other was orange/reddish color
    (I assume it's copper), and it's diameter looked like was 1/2 inch. I couldn't
    see any price or tag for these and there was no knowledgeable sale person to ask questions from. BTW, These were 8 feet long.

Questions:
    1. Which ground rod is better, a 5/8 inch galvanized, or a 1/2" copper?

2. Does codes under any NEC 200x specify the diameter and/or type of ground rods
    one must use? Would this depend on soil type?

3. What type of ground rod clip to use with each? Mixing metal types is always a
    bad thing which causes to react with each other and causes problems later,
    unless, they are threated with a special grease. Home centers seem to sell
    either brass looking or a plain metal clips.

4. How one can drive the ground rod in place? Is there a tool one can rent? Or
    is it as simple as sledge hammering it in?
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 12, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Use the 5/8. don't matter copper or galv. Depends on your soil. Copper should work. There 8 ft, and they have to be buried that amt.

You have to use a gnd connector that is rated direct burial. The strap and rod have to be under ground out of harms way. I bought my strap at HD. It is direct burial rated.

I think they rent a tool for driving them. I used a hammer. What fun that was

Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool installation [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, We are installing an above ground pool, we got the ground level and the day of installation it downpoured rain. Now the area where the pool is being installed is wet very very wet. We have clay in the area to top it off. We have been waiting for the ground to dry for 2 days now. The...

Installing ground rods [ 8 Answers ]

I want to ground my satellite dish and my phone line. (both installed by so called professionals and not properly grounded) Both enter the house 75 feet or so from where the main electrical enters the house. I want to drive grounding rods at each of the satellite and phone locations. I believe...

Conduit type and ground? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a spa and will be running a 220v/50A circuit for its use. Before pouring a slab I would like to bury the conduit and stub it up at the appropriate location. What type of conduit should I use? Is it best to use solid pipe which I would need a tube bender, or can I use PVC or...

Ground Rods [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to install 2 ground Rods 5/8 by 8ft. Can anyone give me any hints on how to install these without damaging the rods. Also I heard that general rule of thumb is 8 foot down and 8 foot apart can anyone shed some light on these locations. Any help will be a great help. Thanks again, ...

Above-ground pool installation [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a Muskin 18' round above ground pool from a friend; however, the instructions on the pool assembly can not be found. She didn't install the pool so she can't provide any advice on taking the pool down. I have searched the internet extensively for instructions with no...

View more questions Search