Ask
    anna55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Affidavit of support
    What is my obligation if I sign affidavit of support
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 12, 2008, 07:36 PM
    When you sign the Affidavit of Support, you accept legal responsibility for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant until she...

* becomes U.S. citizen or
    * can be credited with 40 quarters of work or
    * leaves the United States permanently or
    * dies

And divorce does not nullify the sponsorship agreement.

If the immigrant receives any "means-tested public benefits," you are responsible for repaying the cost of those benefits to the agency that provided them. If you do not repay the debt, the agency can sue you in court to get the money owed.

Currently, Federal means-tested public benefits include Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and the State Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP). States and local jurisdictions may also designate certain of their programs as means-tested public benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration Affidavit Of Support [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Us Citizen By Naturlization. My Niece Is In India Applying For Student Visa To Australia, She Needs Affidavit Of Support From Me In The United State For My My Balance And Everything I Can Provide That Only Thing I Need Is Affidavit Of Support That Will Show That She Will Be Supported In...

I-134 Affidavit of Support form [ 3 Answers ]

Once I fill out the form and send it to the person to be sponsored, I understand that she has to go to the US Embassy in her native country and once she gets there, what will they ask of her? Are there any requirements that she has to meet? Also, what's the maximumThanks time allowed in the Us and...

Affidavit of support [ 1 Answers ]

I like to know who can fill the affdavite of support any one ? Or only the family members thanks

View more questions Search