Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    08niki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Judgment / small claims
    Hi there.
    I have a judgment against a person and I'm trying to collect, but when I went to Marshalls and they try to collect from employer but her employer state that she is not making enough money so I can't collect any money. I want to know if there is anyway to find where the person has bank account. I have all personal information like SS number, date of birth. I'm from NYC
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Depending on the amount of your judgment, I would check into a private eye and what it would cost to run an asset search.

Unless at some point in time this person ever wrote you a check, that you deposited into one of your accounts. Then, you may be able to get a copy of this check from the bank where it was deposited.

I had heard of a guy once, who actually arranged for a friend who had a business, to mail a real check for $20 to the debtor with something saying you were our random weekly winner! They deposited the check into their account and with his friends help, he got the checking account number.

I am in no way advocating that anyone do anything that could be illegal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Yes this is one of the main issues and problems of getting a judgement, a lot of them never get collected. Depending on the amount, and the state you live in, there are collection companies that do it for a percentage,

Do you believe their place of work is lying ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    Depending on the amount of your judgment, I would check into a private eye and what it would cost to run an asset search.

Unless at some point in time this person ever wrote you a check, that you deposited into one of your accounts. Then, you may be able to get a copy of this check from the bank where it was deposited.

I had heard of a guy once, who actually arranged for a friend who had a business, to mail a real check for $20 to the debtor with something saying you were our random weekly winner! They deposited the check into their account and with his friends help, he got the checking account number.

I am in no way advocating that anyone do anything that could be illegal.

There's no "may be able" to the copy of the check from your bank if it was deposited - as I've posted before, the bank will provide a copy to you. There is, of course, a charge.

The $20 check is the stuff of urban legend - glad it worked out for your friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims [ 7 Answers ]

My car was hit back in April. Since no one was hurt, and I was in such a hurry to get where I was going, I did not call the police. I quickly jotted down the man's information myself. However, I cannot get money out of the guy. He said he would pay and now isn't. The damage is approx $400.00. ...

Small Claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued for a debt. The debt is just in my name not my husbands can they garnish his wages. (I am a stay at home mom). I know they can go after bank accounts but our account is just in my husbands name. Can they go after the account if it is not in my name?

Notice of motion to vacate judgment in small claims [ 4 Answers ]

I need to find out How to file a notice of motion to vacate a small claims judgment. Where do I get the form? Is one available on line? I was served with papers on a case. I called to reschedule. I was told fine it would be reschuled. I come back from vacation and I have a judgmnt agaiinst ...

Took ex boyfriend to small claims, HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I took my ex boyfriend to small claims because he owes me $2,600. And I won, but I am having trouble getting the money. I tried to garnish his wages, he works with his grandfather, so they lied and said he is working part time. So I couldn't garnish. What do I do?? I want to know if I can take...

View more questions Search