Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Contract for Deed Purchaser
    My husband and I currently are under a "contract for deed" loan in Texas. Our names are not on the title but we are on contract for deed. We are wanting to refinance the loan with an FHA loan. Some lenders are telling me we cannot do this and others say yes we can. Can we get a new FHA refinance loan if we are currently purchasing under a contract for deed> we are 4 years in to contract for deed loan.
    Thanks
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

May 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
    The answer is YES. Per MRI sec 606.05: "If the borrower will use the loan to complete payment on a land contract, contract for deed, or other similar type financing arrangement in which the borrower does not have title to the property --the new mortgage may be processed as either a purchase or a refinance transaction with maximum FHA - insured financing if the borrower receives no cash at closing. If all loan proceeds are used to pay the outstanding balance on the land contract and eligible repairs, renovations, etc., the appropriate LTV ratio is applied to the lesser of:
    * The appraised value, or
    * The total cost to acquire the property (the original purchase price, plus any documented costs the purchaser incurs for rehabilitation, repairs, renovation, or weatherization), plus allowable closing costs and, if treated as a refinance, reasonable discount points.

Equity in the property (original sale price minus the amount owed) may be used for the borrower's entire cash investment. However, if the borrower receives more than $250 cash at closing, the loan is limited to 85% of the sum of the appraised value and allowable closing costs. Replenishment of the borrower's own cash expenditures for repairs, improvements, renovations, etc., is not considered as "cash back" -- provided the borrower can substantiate, with cancelled checks and paid receipts, all out-of-pocket funds spent for these purposes."

My MRI reference book is not the latest available, but I believe these rules are still in effect. Good luck.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for Deed [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: We are currently in a contract for deed in Minnesota and we are looking to disolve the contract with out defaulting on it. We have asked the sellers to mutually desolve the contract and they said no. We have a clause in the contract for deed that states that we were responsiable for...

Contract for Deed, Please Help! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a situation, and could use some solid advice. I own a 2-family house in Missouri, and have been living in it for two years. I re-financed it last year, pulling cash out of equity. I now owe more on the house than I could hope to get in a *quick* sale. I plan to move to Texas in the next...

Quit Claim Deed/Contract for Deed [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I have posted before. I had a contract for deed piece of property, and have myself been going back and forth with a lawyer and the client. Trying to make a offer to end this nightmare. I offered them 1000.00 in 10 payments and at the end of that to sign a quitclaim deed or 500.00 and...

Contract for deed [ 1 Answers ]

I was offered to buy a house on contract for deed int the state of Illinois, and I was wondering about the laws that pertain to that. Can anyone help me? :confused:

Contract for Deed again [ 2 Answers ]

I don't understand. We own 20 acres. There is another 20 acres next to us that our neighbor wants to sell. They are asking way more than the value. So we did some research and found out that it is a contract for deed. We contacted who the deed is with and he said he will sell the property to us...

View more questions Search