Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejcr032 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 06:12 AM
    2 line dryers OK?
    I just had a new trane 14 seer system installed. Originally, I was quoted for a rheem which requires a line dryer installed so it was written up on the quote.

I negotiated to a trane system for the same price and on the work order, the rheem was crossed out and the trane written in.

So, because "install line dryer" was on the work order, the tech installed a dryer in addition to the one that's already inside the outdoor unit (I don't think he realized this). So my question is :

Will this hurt anything? Should I bother having them come out and remove the additional drier?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 12, 2008, 06:26 PM
    You should not have two liquid line dryers on the line at the same time. Now you can have both a liquid line and suction line dryer at the same time but they are on two different lines.
    ejcr032 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    You should not have two liquid line dryers on the line at the same time. Now you can have both a liquid line and suction line dryer at the same time but they are on two different lines.
    Thanks for your reply!
    Yhea, the two dryers are on the same side. So this is bad thing then? I wasn't sure since I don't know if these dryers impede the line at all. I'm pretty sure if I were to call the company that put it in, they would most likely reply with "oh, that's fine. actually, that's better..." or something along those lines. I'd like to have a valid argument to respond with. Why is the additional dryer a bad thing and how might it effect my system?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 13, 2008, 04:53 AM
    The additional drier can cause unwanted/unnecessary pressure drop in the system. NO drier manufacture recommends more than one drier per line. Have it removed. The person must have been not so swift to leave it in to start with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New AC installation - should both liquid and suction line dryers be installed? [ 7 Answers ]

To make a long story short I've have a bad experience trying to get some repairs done to an existing aire-flow unit. $800 later I'm scrapping the unit. I've ordered (online) a new Rheem Classic 3 ton 13 seer condenser, coil and 100,000 BTU gas furnace. I am not going to try to install the unit...

Kenmore dryers [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a kenmore dryer today and it doesn't heat

View more questions Search