Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

May 12, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Illegal Download?
    I was just wondering... I'm not saying I've done this or I'm going to do this... but;

If I once had a CD, but now I've lost it and I can PROVE I bought it (like via my Amazon shipping or the like) can I legally download a copy of it from one of the various naughty websites there are knocking around?!

Just on the basis that I have, at one time, paid for that album?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Nope. The RIAA will not allow that as a defense if they catch you and decide to prosecute.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 12, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Problem here is that the physical disc/box is your licence to listen to the music.
    Now as you have lost it you will need to purchase another licence so you can listen to it again.

Yep, it really is getting THAT confusing.

May 12, 2008, 05:42 AM
    What? That's crazy!

So what happens if I buy a CD, rip it to my iTunes and then lose the CD... is that as illegal?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2008, 05:52 AM
    As Ben notes, you have to be able to prove your license and that proof involves having the physical disk.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    What? That's crazy!

So what happens if I buy a CD, rip it to my iTunes and then lose the CD ... is that as illegal?
    That's a bit of a grey area in that the RIAA won't find you with their monitoring tools because you aren't getting the songs online. BTW miliions of people are doing exactly that: ripping their CDs to have a digital library to enjoy whenever and however they wish.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Need has a good point, but lets look at this scenario. You have a bunch of CDs that you bought legally and ripped so you have a large MP3 library. Now you also were foolish enough to get some of your collection by piracy. So the RIAA tracks you and issues a summons. Your hard drive is looked at and you can only prove that you have licenses for 25% of them. You would be liable for the other 75% even though, you did, at one time, have the CDs.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 12, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Need has a good point, but lets look at this scenario. You have a bunch of CDs that you bought legally and ripped so you have a large MP3 library. Now you also were foolish enough to get some of your collection by piracy. So the RIAA tracks you and issues a summons. Your hard drive is looked at and you can only prove that you have licenses for 25% of them. You would be liable for the other 75% even though, you did, at one time, have the CDs.
    While this scenario sounds far fetched, it's very close to the truth.

The most worrying thing is that the RIAA was originally designed to promote the record labels, now it is simply a vehicle to litigate against the labels customer base!!

May 12, 2008, 06:12 AM
    So, far from the case at the moment, where I'm ripping all my old CDs and then binning them, I should be hoarding them like gold! Ha ha!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would this be illegal? [ 12 Answers ]

Would it be illegal if a 29 year old man had sex with a 17 year old girl in Maine?

Is it illegal? [ 13 Answers ]

I live in canada. I was just wondering if is it legal or illefal for a 16 and 21 year old to date If not, are they're restrictions on what your aloud to do

Would it be illegal? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 16 years old. I have a boyfriend who just turned 18 years old. We have been dating 2 and half years now, with no brake ups. I live in New York. Is it, or would it be illegal for us to have sex, just because he turned 18? If so, how could he get charged for having sexual contact with me, If...

Is this Illegal? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a loan with a company for about 4 years. The loan has completely destroyed my credit due to numerous amounts of deliquencies on my report (younger days). Anyway, I am in the process of purchasing my first home and am working with a Mortgage Broker. My Broker told me to pay the loan...

View more questions Search