Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    27w08xx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Husband's ex-mother-in-law being mean
    Recently, our 2 youngest children B & G share with me that their grandma (my husband ex-mother-in-law) has been talking bad behind me and my older boy A. She tells them not to trust us. She even says I'm bad, I'm not their mum and their mum is dead. I feel the pain she had for her daughter's death as my 2 kids had shared with me their mum's death and how their grandma had cried. I feel really sorry for her therefore had never hold grudge against her even though she accused my older boy of stealing from B & G. I see she loves her grandchildren so much that she's only trying to protect them. She calls everyday to check our 2 kids, visit whenever she likes, and our door always open for her, I've always welcome her. I feel it's our children blessing they are love by their grandma and aunties. They treated our 2 kids like their own, buy gifts and gave money to them very often whenever they meet which I didn't think is necessarily good for them. I worry they'll spoil them, our children said their grandma tells them that they must always bring more money with them to school at all time. I noticed our children behave differently whenever they visit grandma, they come home angry and hot-tempered, often they are irritated and rude to grandma. To date, our children told me they treated her this way because she never say nice things about me and A.
    Grandma acts nice in front of me and I never thought she would talk behind me like this. My husband warned me before, he said they wanted to take his kids away from him and he want no contact with them. I thought it was a misunderstanding and asked him to move on and reconcile with her as she is still our kids' grandma. I am so naïve. I'm very hurt and angry at what she does. I really do not know what to do with her. I cant' stop her from seeing our children cause this will not please them. I address her Grandma too but I feel to stop addressing her grandma now but Mrs xxx, I also feel to tell her straight on her face that she is mean and what she does is not only bad for our new family (about 2 years marriage) but also our children, bringing resentful & rebellious kids. Obviously, also breaking the bond between us. My husband is upset too. Please advise.
    sweet jane Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2008, 06:56 PM
    You are your children's first and, often, only line of defense. You are the person who is supposed to protect and nurture them at all costs. While I respect that your ex mil is nice and loves the 2 children, she clearly doesn't treat the other one or you very well at all. You will need to weigh what to do in this situation... but I would want all of my children treated equally. I would also demand respect when it comes to my marriage and my personal being. If she cannot respect those boundaries and constantly is interfering in your children's lives with negativity, I wouldn't think that would be a loving thing to do. She is being emotionally abusive--from what you have stated. I wouldn't deal with it any longer. I would simply tell her asap in a nice way that there will be no more discussion of your family in any negative way. If she cannot respect that, I wouldn't have much contact with her any more. It is only hurting your children and you marriage to have toxic people in your lives.
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Jun 17, 2010, 07:48 AM

Your family needs to come first and you need to protect it. Coming from a home where my husband was the grandson that was ignored, with forgotten birthdays, no presents and pretty much swept under the rug. My husband still has issues/grudges for what he went through as a kid, don't let it happen to yours. You need to have a talk with her about how this needs to stop or things are going to change. Because if she can't respect you she cannot respect your kids. If she continues then I am afraid you need to cut the cord and if she wants to see them she will have to visit with your supervision. There is nothing worse then a vain woman who is trying to brainwash your kids into thinking you are horrible. Don't put up with this any longer because what does it show your children that you allow this to happen.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 08:06 AM

My husband warned me before, he said they wanted to take his kids away from him and he want no contact with them.
    Maybe you should have listened to your husband!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mother-In-Law Acts Like My Children's Mother [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice on how to handle a situation with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law was always the kind of woman who loved kids immensely, wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, her whole life revolves around her kids, etc. I think that is absolutely fabulous. Me, on the other hand, I've...

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Deed only in husband's name [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married for almost 3 years. Last year my husband and I had a very difficult time. When he took a new job in PA, he purchased land and had a home built on it. His name only is on the deed for the land and also on the mortgage. While the house was being built we decided to stay together...

Husband's Family [ 10 Answers ]

I have many issues with my husband's family and need a sounding board to see if I am just overreacting. To begin, when my husband and I got engaged not one of his family member's congratulated us, no card, nothing. When we were engaged, my husband's family came for a visit. Some staying at...

A husband's right [ 4 Answers ]

have a friend whose wife found he has a mistress and kicked him out of the bed last night and probably the house soon...Does he have the right to stay in the house if he decides to file for divorce from her?

View more questions Search