Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 04:17 AM
    Sewage backing up into basement
    If sewage is backing up in basement and saturating entire carpet/pad shouldn't it be completely replaced after plumbing problem is fixed? Doesn't carpet harbor spores and bacteria? Isn't it a health hazard? How do you clean up after something like this? What would a plumber suggest? Thanks,
    Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2006, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    If sewage is backing up in basement and saturating entire carpet/pad shouldn't it be completely replaced after plumbing problem is fixed? Doesn't carpet harbor spores and bacteria? Isn't it a health hazard? How do you clean up after something like this? What would a plumber suggest? Thanks,
    Tom
    Good morning Tom, Sorry to hear about your trouble.
    When we have a flood in the home we call a water extraction company such as Serve-Pro to come in and dry the place out. We then repair the problem and our work is done
    Most home owners then call in a carpet cleaning company to shampoo, disinfect and clean the carpets. In extreme cases insurance will pay to recarpet the house but most of the time the carpets are shampooed, disinfected and cleaned. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! Water backing up from pipe in basement [ 3 Answers ]

My townhouse is 1 1/2 years old and I live in the end unit. There's a 6-8 inch PVC that comes out of my basement floor. The pipe is flush with the floor and has a cover. The cover doesn't screw or snap on, it just sits on top of the pipe. 8 or 10 inches down the pipe is a cap that screws on. ...

Basement drain backing up [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, my name is April. I recently purchased my house almost 2 years ago,(house is over 50 years old, I think) I learn 3 days into moving into my house that the basement flooded. It was due to a heavy rain fall but shortly after that the drains would back up in the basement, like the laundry...

Basement Sewage odor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Sorry if my question is redundant, but I searched the posts and couldn't quite find one that met the same situation I have encountered. My wife and I recently bought a home that was built 3 years ago. It has 3 bathrooms, one being in the basement. The problem we have noticed is a...

Help with sewage smelling basement! [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for any input. Let me begin by saying I know NOTHING about the plumbing in my 100+ yr old home so let me provide you with some information. I have a stone block foundation that has leaked since the day I moved in so I'm not a stranger to seepage in my basement. Lately though ANY time I...

Help Me Please! Basement drain is backing up [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. I purchased my home about 3 1/2 years ago. The home was built approximately in 1950. My basement has two drains both have overflowed once each. The first time we called in Roto Rooter and he had used the snake to clean out one of the pipes and put a cap on it (the other cap was...

View more questions Search