Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lxamon Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2008, 03:13 PM
    An advertisement has taken my home page
    Before I send this question I check similar questions but that helped just halveway.Yesterday I received one of those pop ups from an spyware company,threatening me of the risk my computer was.My computers been working OK with some other programs I have (AVG.Cleaner.Optmize).I clicked cancel but instead of going away I took me to a home page of the spyware.The problem is that if I go to Tools-Internet Options and in the upper part I choose my home page (yahoo) I click apply and Yahoo comes back and the computer works normaly THE PROBLEM IS THAT whenever I return to Internet the Spyware offer pops up as my home page again.
    My computer is DELL Dimension 8300 and I run Win XP.Thanks for your help
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

May 10, 2008, 04:46 PM
    I'd download and run Ad-Aware (free) and Spybot Search & Destroy (also free). They each tend to catch different adware - and these are things that AVG won't catch. Good things to run on a regular basis.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Try a system restore. Choose a date before the add appeared and simply follow the instructions on the screen.

May 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    I'd download and run Ad-Aware (free) and Spybot Search & Destroy (also free). They each tend to catch different adware - and these are things that AVG won't catch. Good things to run on a regular basis.
    Unfortunately after downloading AdAware and using it the add still keeps showing in my home page.Going to tools-internet options still works.Know anything about Malware products?
    Any other ideas.Thanks for helping.

May 11, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerose
    Try a system restore. choose a date before the add appeared and simply follow the instructions on the screen.
    I tried a system restore,which I`ve done many times,but in this case I was informed that system restore was not possibley from that date? so I use some 6 different dates but still have the same response.Thanks anyway

May 11, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lxamon
    Unfortunately after downloading AdAware and using it the add still keeps showing in my home page.Going to tools-internet options still works.Know anything about Malware products?
    Any other ideas.Thanks for helping.
    I'd also run Spybot S&D, since it can catch other things. Here's a thread from the Spybot forums that may be helpful. Adware may have "locked" your browser's home page - the thread tells you how you can (hopefully) unlock it in Spybot.

Regarding malware products you purchase, for home use I'd recommend McAfee. Steer clear of Norton/Symantec, in my opinion; McAfee is the better choice. Here's why.

Vasily
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2008, 12:42 PM
    I don't use XP now, I'm using Vista, but when I was using XP and the addy thing kept coming up because the kids had been looking for game cheats and codes. At one point I opened a new usser account, moved my stuff to it and then deleted the old usser account. That meant I set up a new desktop in another name and then after moving everything over, I deleted the old desktop account. That cleared it. Don't ask me how that worked but it did. It was either that or a serious restore from disc.

May 11, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    I'd also run Spybot S&D, since it can catch other things. Here's a thread from the Spybot forums that may be helpful. Adware may have "locked" your browser's home page - the thread tells you how you can (hopefully) unlock it in Spybot.

Regarding malware products you purchase, for home use I'd recommend McAfee. Steer clear of Norton/Symantec, in my opinion; McAfee is the better choice. Here's why.

Vasily
    Malware is not anything I bought,that's the name of the add that took my home page.The good news is that using spybot and doing a lot a analysis and accepting and denying some pops ups during thir process I finally got rid of the nasty add.I hopè this will be for good.
    Thanks very very much:) :)

May 12, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lxamon
    Malware is not anything I bought,thats the name of the add that took my home page.The good news is that using spybot and doing a lot a analysis and accepting and denying some pops ups during thir process I finally got rid of the nasty add.I hopè this will be for good.
    Thanks very very much:) :)
    Malware is a general term for software that does bad things on your computer (mal = bad). I was referring to programs that remove malware, like the McAfee suite. I'm glad Spybot worked for you... as I said, it and Ad-Aware tend to find different things. To keep your computer clean, run Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Windows Update once a week, and continue running AVG and keep its virus definitions up to date. :)

Vasily
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

May 14, 2008, 12:30 AM
    To prevent spware infecting your browser only use
    Firefox+Adblock Plus +noscript
    Download and run Firefox to protect your from future spyware attacks and pop ups which are coming in through internet explorer (Trojan downloaders, win32 ) .Then update your windows through Firefox
    Browser attacks aren't easy to spot because they piggyback on legitimate traffic that doesn't exhibit many obvious warning signs
    Security News from the net: spyware fighter essentials
    Install addition protection into Firefox with
    Adblock Plus
    Adblock Plus: Installation
    There's a browser safer than Firefox...
    ... it is Firefox, with NoScript!
    NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - get it! - InformAction

May 14, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by invisibleman_productions
    To prevent spware infecting your browser only use
    Firefox+Adblock Plus +noscript
    Adblock Plus will prevent popup ads while you''re visiting websites, but it will not prevent your being infected by spyware or adware. You still need to run Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D or applications like them.

Vasily
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

May 14, 2008, 08:29 AM
    vingogly yes . As you had already posted links to the user and the user used spybot to remove the offending spyware. The only thing left was prevention of reinfection hence I posted only the preventive measure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home page [ 3 Answers ]

hi I accidentally downloaded somesort of active x thing since then I have been stuck with a blank page as my home page and it won't let me change it . Cheers

I can't able to change my Home Page? [ 7 Answers ]

I don't know what the hack has happen to my computer it is not showing the run command in XP and that to I can't able to change my explorer home page. Can someone know the solution for this??

Home Page Hijacked [ 6 Answers ]

Hello ! Protectstand.com has hijacked my homepage. I ran my antivirus scan, it quarantined a trojan virus and I deleted it. I also ran my spyware scan, it found several and I deleted them all. I rebooted my computer, but the homepage is still "protectstand.com". Anyone have any solutions?? ...

Home page,how ? [ 4 Answers ]

I may be out of my depth,but I wish to make my home page (mail2web) an advertisement for my business. 1/ Can this be done? and 2/ How does a beginner like myself start the process? Thanks in advance for ANY assistance,it is greatly appreciated. Cheers FnOzi.

Help me with home page... [ 1 Answers ]

I have big problem with my home page... when I start up my comp it is always same home page ------------------------------>go.targetsearch... a can fix it in internet tools but if I turn off my comp an again turn on----again that page?? Please help... This is probably the most frustration I've...

View more questions Search