Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpneededasap Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Theft under $5000 in Ontario, Canada - court appearance in 3 days
    Hi,

My sister recently told me that you was caught shoplifting at Zellers in March and that she has to appear in court soon (she has been keeping this to herslef all this time). She was 18 when this happened and I have no clue what to do in this situation.
    We cannot hire a laywer (we can't afford it) and she will have to show up in court in three days (next Monday, and right now, it is saturday). Can anyone help me what to do?
    Would she have crimnal record because of this?
    Please help
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 10, 2008, 07:48 PM
    IF they prosecute, yes this will be on her criminal record. She may be eligible for a court appointed lawyer.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 10, 2008, 07:49 PM
    P.S. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and read up on similar situations.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 11, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpneededasap
    Hi,

My sister recently told me that you was caught shoplifting at Zellers in March and that she has to appear in court soon (she has been keeping this to herslef all this time). She was 18 when this happened and I have no clue what to do in this situation.
    We cannot hire a laywer (we can't afford it) and she will have to show up in court in three days (next Monday, and right now, it is saturday). Can anyone help me what to do?
    Would she have crimnal record because of this?
    Please help

In brief, in Canada: "A person convicted of theft under $5,000 as an indictable offence could be fined and or imprisoned for up to two years. As a matter of procedure, however, the Crown rarely proceeds with such a charge as an indictable offence, particularly if it is a first offence."

If it is a first time offense she should be all right; if it is NOT a first time offense she could have a problem.

She may not even need an Attorney but she must be sincerely remorseful because the Canadian Courts don't like a smart attitude.

May 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Hi,

First, I really appreciate all the posts!!
    Does anyone know how things will proceed from here and on? I mean, what would she be asked tomorrow? And how should she be answering those questions?

p.s JudykayTee, it was her first time ever (she has never done anything like this before)
    Uber Member

May 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Hi,

First, I really appreciate all the posts!!!
    Does anyone know how things will proceed from here and on? I mean, what would she be asked tomorrow? and how should she be answering those questions?

p.s JudykayTee, it was her first time ever (she has never done anything like this before)

She should be honest and regretful - other than that no one can guarantee anything.
    Thechaks Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Hi,

What is the amount of theft? Is fingureprint proceess done or not yet?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2008, 11:45 AM
    This may be too late, but she should ask for a diversion. This will allow her to do community service on probation. At the completion of probation her court record is expunged.

May 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Court date MISSED! - what to do next? (Ontario, Canada)
    Hi,
    My sister missed the court date! (for some odd reason, I had a wrong date in my head) and my sister and I are freaking out about it.
    Is there anyone who knows what will happen now?
    We went for fingerpringint but by making silly mistake, we missed court date.
    Can someone help me what to do?
    ( We plan to go to the court tomorrow and figure out a way to reschedule - is this a wise idea?)
    Help!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Well actually if you could have called them today as soon as you noted you were late. But yes go down there ASAP and make arrangements with them

May 12, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is there anyone who went through the same thing?
    Would she be in more trouble because of this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 04:22 PM
    we plan to go to the court tomorrow and figure out a way to reschedule - is this a wise idea?
    Hello need:

Yes.

excon
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Hello again, need:

We were posting at the same time.

Of course, she's going to be in more trouble. They don't like people not showing up. When they say come, they MEAN come. They may have issued a bench warrant for her and they might arrest her as soon as she shows up.

Who knows? Anytime you put your life into these people hands ANYTHING can happen. What?? You think they're nice guys?? Those guns on their hips are there for a reason. They use 'em when every they feel the need.

Now they probably won't do that, but they certainly might.

excon
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 06:39 PM
    [QUOTE=helpneededasap]Hi,
    My sister missed the court date! (for some odd reason, I had a wrong date in my head) and my sister and I are freaking out about it.
    Is there anyone who knows what will happen now?
    We went for fingerpringint but by making silly mistake, we missed court date.
    Can someone help me what to do?
    ( We plan to go to the court tomorrow and figure out a way to reschedule - is this a wise idea?)

You had the right date in your other posts but I know these things can get away from you. I hope your sister isn't dragging her feet, thinking this will go away.

Going to Court and figuring a way to reschedule is your only choice right now - or she can stay home and wait to be arrested again.

You've had several problems with this arrest - are you sure you don't want to get an Attorney?

Jul 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Theft Under 5000 Ontario, Canada
    Hi,

I have a court date scheduled soon, and I do not have a lawyer
    I was caught shoplifting at Zellers and I was 18 at that time.
    On the day that I have to appear at court, the counsel will ask me if I plead guilty or not guilty. What should I respond to that?
    I mean, I did not enter the store with an intention of stealing but rather it was just spur of the moment (I know, I made a terrible decision and I really regret it) but clearly what I did was wrong and I aknowledge that.

What should I say to that?
    I have to appear to the court in Brampton, ON Canada, so if anyone has gone through this, sharing your experience would help a lot

Thanks a lot!

p.s I have no criminal record, if that helps
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Guilty
    Whether you intended to or not, excuses or no excuse-- you DID the act so legally you are guilty.

You then simply answer any questions and do what they say.
    Most likely you will get a fine and have to take Alternatives/diversion class(es)

Jul 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Hi, Thanks for your post!

Then in that case, I would have a criminal record right?
    If that is the case, how long is that going to stay on my record?

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 10:28 AM
    You can ask about procedure to get any record sealed/expunged and they will tell you the requirements. One is maintaining a clean record for x amount of years.
    brownboy2u Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Hello
    I'm 24 years old. Got stealing some thinks from (bay mart store) about 100$ got arrested got fine theft under. This is my first time. I never did be4 in my life. I never go to courts or police station.
    But this is my first time I have to go to courts October 30 2008. I don't know what can I do for now? Anyone know tell me pleace what I need to do? And how they going to charges?
    This is my first criminal record on the list. I never got any criminal record be4. I feel now why did I do this stupid work?
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brownboy2u
    hello
    i'm 24 years old. got stealing some thinks from (bay mart store) about 100$ got arrested got fine theft under. this is my first time. i never did be4 in my life. i never go to courts or police station.
    but this is my first time i have to go to courts october 30 2008. i don't know wat can i do for now? anyone know tell me pleace wat i need to do? and how they gonna charges?
    this is my first criminal record on the list. i never got any criminal record be4. i feel now why did i do this stupid work?

Please only post the question once - should be combined with other post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 in ontario, canada [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I am 18 years old and was recently caught trying to walk out of walmart with unpaid cosmetics in my purse. The loss prevention officer took me to the back and read me my rights, and we waited for a police officer to arrive who charged me with theft under $5000. I have a date set for...

I went through the fingerprinting, court for "theft under $5000 "(ontario, CA) [ 36 Answers ]

THIS IS NOT A QUESTION, BUT A PLACE SOME PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO REFER TO TO ANSWER THEIR OWN QUESTIONS SINCE IM NOT SURE WHERE ELSE I SHOULD POST THIS All right guys so I'm fron ontario, canada and just wanted to share my experience I stole from and HBC store, about $10 worth. I was leaving the...

Fraud and theft charges over $5000.00 in Ontario Canada [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine has been charged with theft and fraud. He embazzled over $80,000.00 while he was the president of a soccer association. He wrote himself checks and also took cash. He bankrupted the soccer association. Will he serve time in jail?? Will he have to pay back the money?? He has...

Court appearance for theft under $5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm 19 and live in Ontario, awhile ago I was charged with theft under $5000, my court date is on April 11th, but the officer said that sometimes the first court date is only to set another time for the trial (doesn't make any sense to me) so, my question is, are there anyone...

Theft under $5000 - first appearance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 21 year old living in Ontario. I was caught shoplifting at a grocery chainstore, and the police charged me for Theft Under $5000 and gave me a notice of appearance set for April. I have contacted a lawyer for advice, who told me that since it was my first offence, it is very likely that I...

View more questions Search