Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hhudgins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Pay for property but seller will not send me deed
    In 1990 I purchased a mountain lot in NC. Then in 1991 I purchsed a 2nd lot from the same seller who carried the note on both properties. The first lot was paid off in 2000 and after calling the seller several times was sent a clear deed for it. The 2nd lot was paid off in 2001 but the seller did not send us a deed and has moved to another state in 2003. We wetre able to track him down but he refuses to take our calls or answer out letters. We now want to build on the property but need both deeds to get the construction loan.
    What can I do ?

Thanks for any advise
    Harvey
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
    I will assume this was purchased on a contract for deed, so you will have written contract that when you make so many payments the land is yours and you get the deed.?

If they were actuallying doing a loan you should have had the deed at closing. Which would have been filed filed with the lien at the court house.

Also you paid it off 7 years ago, in all those years you never considered doing anything.

Have you even checked at the court house to see whose name the deed is in now ? To see if taxes were paid up to date. Since you were suppose to own it, have you been paying the taxes.

So with your written proof of the debt you file a lien on the property. Then you foreclose on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get a title if the seller doesn't send me the title but I have the bill of sales [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a used car from a private seller. She just paid off the loan and the lienhold is going to send her the title. She said she is going to sign on the title and send it back to me for the transfer of the ownership. I already got the car. As she is in England right now and I'm in...

Contrzct for Deed - Seller Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

If you're current on your contract for deed payments and learn that the seller is filing for bankruptcy, and wants you to pay off the contract, what are your options? This is for recreational land in Minnesota.

Federal lien on property already in defualt to seller [ 2 Answers ]

I owe $17,000 in back federal taxes. I just had to quit my job for medical reasons, my wage had been attached. I am 6 months behind on payments to the owner of the property. There had been discussion already about them taking the property back. When we were ready to move out and move to a...

Contract for deed and seller will not leave premises [ 7 Answers ]

We have a contract for deed for a house and trailer on this property, we have paid our down payment as scheduled and made all the mortgage payments as stated on our contract, the seller told us that she needed to stay there in the trailer on the property for three months until she could move, now...

What if the seller disappears and doesn't send you the title? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a car from a private seller. She is england right now and her friend is selling the car for her. I checked from dmv that the car is hers and she just paid off the loan. The lienholder is going to send her the title and she said she is going to sign it and send it to me. I don't think...

View more questions Search