Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dino78 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Lung or Rib Cage Size of Dinosaurs
    Does anyone have any info on the actual size of a dinosaur's lung or rib cage for a given species? There are plenty of pictures, but I haven't found much data (with numbers!) on measurements of a lung or rib cage.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

May 10, 2008, 05:28 AM
    You would need to be a little more specific. Your question is just like saying what is the rib cage size of a dog? Well there is a big difference between a poodle and a St. Bernard, but they are both dogs. What kind of dino?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Yes, it would be helpful to know which specific dinosaur it is to which you are referring.
    dino78 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Right now, because I haven't found any info, any dinosaur would be good! However, the tyranessaurus, triceratops and/or stegosaurus would be great!
    Lavina Posts: 31, Reputation: 9

May 14, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Well, it might vary, but a triceratop dubbed "Kelsey" has a chest size of 73 in or (185 cm). You can find additional information here.

For an example of a tyrannosaurus, this one is named "Bucky". Chest size measured at 56 in and 142 cm. Site is here.

Stegosaurus, some studies estimated it to be about 49 in. or 125 cm to 60 in or 150 cm. Source is the Dinosauria book that has publications of research studies on dinosaurs. Hopefully these help you!

I just want to say that these are estimates and sizes taken from dinosaurs that had nearly complete skeletons. It does not account for all dinosaurs, because we can only estimate the size of some, and it's very hard to find complete skeletons. Sometimes we get lucky and sometimes we only find rib fragments that don't offer so much information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Killed off the Dinosaurs [ 32 Answers ]

I don't know if I put this in the right category but me and my husband were arguing about what killed off the dinosaurs he says the ICEAGE and I say an ASTROID... Now what killed them off?

Rats,environment,1or2,size cage [ 5 Answers ]

My sons thinking of getting a rat, my questions to you are 1 verses 2, aquarium verses cage, what kind of rat is best for pet.

Why were dinosaurs and giant sloths so large? [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: This one has driven me mad for years and this recent discovery hasn't helped 'Scientists found evidence in Scotland of a water scorpion that was 5.2 feet long and about 3.2 feet wide. The monster lived about 350 million years ago.' My questions are simple - why were animals in...

Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? [ 3 Answers ]

Question regarding the following article on CNN.com Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? Dated Thursday, Jan. 10, 2008 By MICHAEL D. LEMONICK Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? - TIME I was curious about the Turonian period when there seems to be a contradiction in planetary environment where the...

Ok: dinosaurs and creatures (90's) [ 2 Answers ]

Ok first movie I can't remember: A boy has all these toy dinosaurs and then somehow they come alive? I just remember his house being really nice and the dinosaurs like playing with his remote control car. Ehh? Second: Ok so little creatures that were really cute, in like a pet store? And the...

View more questions Search