Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 22, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Water heater expansion tank
    Read a post here concerning the water line back flow preventer/expansion tank and am familiar with its operation and purpose when using city water. My question is, is this setup recommended or even needed on a well water system? My feeling is that the holding tank would take up any expansion. However, if the pump/tank shuts off and stays at its maximum (60 lbs) could the tank still absorb any expansion? My old water heater never released water via the T/P pipe and my new one hasn’t either, so if there is any expansion it is going somewhere. I installed the heater and all new copper piping so I could easily retro the preventer/tank if needed…. Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Your pressure tank is likely rated for far more than the 60 psi cut off. As long as the water forced out of the tank is free to run back to it, it should be fine. That is the way it has always been. No problems until the municipal water systems decided to require back flow preventers. Suddenly the water had to have some place to go. The volume is very small. Very little water is forced out the relief valves. Certainly not enough to change the pressure much in a large pressure tank. Good question though.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2006, 03:48 AM
    Hey Shader, Back again I see.

Pump systems have always had a backflow preventer, (check valve) installed so the pressure tank retains pressure in the system and the pump doesn't lose its prime. Both you and Labman are correct when you assume the pressure/bladder tank compensates for the hot water expansion. Expansion tanks are needed only when back flow preventers are installled at the water meter. It's nice to see Labman back in action. He was missed by a lot of people here while he was on "vacation". Welcome back Lab! Tom
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 23, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Yeah, I never left, HAHA... your responses and that of labman have been very helpful during my house's almost extreme makeover! I know a fair amount about plumbing but not all the real insider stuff you guys learned over the years...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 07:56 PM
    A couple of details. Tom is the real plumber. I poke around the edges and help sometimes. A couple of years ago, it took us both when we started here on those expansion tanks. It seems now when we have an easy answer, we see fewer such questions.

Yes, well systems have back flow preventors too, as far as I know, always at the bottom of the well. The pressure tank works as an oversize expansion tank between the backflow preventor and the hot water tank, easily absorbing the small volume of water forced out as the water in the tank heats and expands. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a themal expansion tank really needed? [ 32 Answers ]

First home buyer, and Ever since I can remember we had well water, I do now as well in this new house. I was told by the local HomeDepot when I bought my tank, the installer was there and said if I have someone to do it, that there were new codes, had to have a lever ball valve shut off now, and...

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Explain expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

My hot water heater seems to occasionally cause the water pressure to increase a lot. Is this what the expansion tank is for? If so how large is the tank and where does it go?

Water Heater... is There A Blow Back Valve To Prevent The Tank From Going Dry And [ 8 Answers ]

Damage will result if element comes on when tank is dry in a water heater. I live in a community where the water is constantly being shut off and the element burns out. Is there a type off blow back valve that can be installed to prevent the tank from going dry.

Water Expansion [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Can someone tell be at what temperature water is at it's most compact? In other words, what temperature will it start expanding by both heating, and cooling?

View more questions Search