Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katzklaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
    No fault accident on private property. What happens now?
    OK, last night, I was entering a parking lot, and the entrance has an interior cross-street with stop signs. There was no stop sign from my direction. It was raining HARD. There was a person on the cross street on my left side, and she didn't stop at the stop sign. I hydroplaned and T-boned into her.

Neither of us were hurt. There was extremely minor superficial damage to my truck, however the passenger side of her car was smashed in pretty good, although her car was still in drivable condition. Both vehicles are older (98 Ram vs. 89 Taurus) so neither car would have comprehensive coverage. The cop who showed up said that since it was on private property, it was a no-fault accident, and he was really only there to make sure we exchanged info.

AFTER the accident, when I was going through my paperwork, I realized that my insurance had lapsed (I am a full-time RVer, and the only thing I can figure is my paperwork didn't get forwarded to me)

The accident occurred in Alabama, and my truck is registered in FL.

What happens now?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
    First no, it was not a no fault accident, it was an accident on private property where the police were not required to do a report.

Well for you, lucky the police did not do a report or you would have gotten a ticket for no insurance.

So you file a claim against their insurance claiming they ran the stop sign on private property and you were not able to stop before hitting them.
    *** or you just pay for the repair of your own vechile, since if it really was a no fault ( which it is not) then your would still have to pay since you have liability only.

In a real no fault, you pay for yours, they pay for thiers. And with both being liability only, that means you both pay for your own repairs.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Father Chuck,

I've been told that signs on private property are only suggestions, so you can't really claim that the other driver ran a stop sign. Since she wasn't required to stop at it in the first place. True or not true?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First no, it was not a no fault accident, it was an accident on private property where the police were not required to do a report.

Well for you, lucky the police did not do a report or you would have gotten a ticket for no insurnace.

So you file a claim against thier insurance claiming they ran the stop sign on private property and you were not able to stop before hitting them.
    *** or you just pay for the repair of your own vechile, since if it really was a no fault ( which it is not) then your would still have to pay since you have liability only.

in a real no fault, you pay for yours, they pay for thiers. and with both being liability only, that means you both pay for your own repairs.

Must depend on the State - in NYS no-fault refers only to the medical bills. Your medical bills as a result of an accident are paid by your carrier, no questions asked, no need to prove fault. After a certain dollar amount and with certain types of injuries you have a personal injury lawsuit but that's a whole different thing.

Liability/collision still enter into the picture. Insurance companies (hopefully) look at fault and see which company pays for what damages.

I worked 2 "private property" accidents this week - one in a shopping plaza, one at the exit to an apartment complex but on the apartment grounds. Had Police Reports for both of them (but there were claimed injuries).

You were driving without insurance? I'd very quietly pay for my own damages and, as FrChuck said, be very grateful the Police weren't all that interested.
    katzklaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    You were driving without insurance? I'd very quietly pay for my own damages and, as FrChuck said, be very grateful the Police weren't all that interested.

My own damages were small enough that I'm not even going to bother fixing them. The truck already had its own fair share of dings and scrapes... it just got another two added to them. I think the hail that fell on us while we were waiting for the police did more damage than the accident did (I found out when the police got there that a tornado had passed directly behind us, only about 1000 feet away :eek: . I had quite the sucktastic night yesterday)

I'm just worried that she may decide to try to go after me for damages somehow. Even though technically she was at fault.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katzklaw
    my own damages were small enough that i'm not even going to bother fixing them. the truck already had its own fair share of dings and scrapes... it just got another two added to them. i think the hail that fell on us while we were waiting for the police did more damage than the accident did (i found out when the police got there that a tornado had passed directly behind us, only about 1000 feet away :eek: . i had quite the sucktastic night yesterday)

i'm just worried that she may decide to try to go after me for damages somehow. even tho technically she was at fault.

Well, you can never guarantee what anyone will do and it sounds like it's your word against hers but if she's going to there's little you can do to stop her. I'd wait and see what happens, which is about all you can do anyway.

A tornado passed 1,000 feet away - ? No wonder the Police weren't terribly interested - they had other things on their minds!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accident on Private Property [ 6 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident when I was visiting another persons house. Someone backed out of the garage and hit my car that was parked in the drive. I was on there property so they are telllin me its my fault. We didn't contact the police because I thought we were all friends and we could...

Private property accident report [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had an accident on private property. Who is at fault on an umarked parking lot and which persons insurance will have to pay?

Accident on private property [ 2 Answers ]

If my car was backed into on private property, do I have to report it to the cops? Or can we exchange insurance information and handle it with out the cops?

Private Property Accident [ 10 Answers ]

I recently rear ended a car in a parking lot. It was private property and an officer was called, filled out a report, but said that the report would not be turned in to the DMV and no tickets were issued. He said he just wrote the report to speed up the process of switching information and whether...

Car accident on private property [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I was involved in a car accident. It was 9 PM, dark. I was backing of my driveway and hit a car that was parked on the street in my subdivision. The police came and determine that is my fault. The officer suggested that we can just exchange insurance information and there is no need of...

View more questions Search