Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melanieoak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Cartilage Piercing
    I got my left cartilage pierced 1 week and 3 days ago, it is still painful and I still cannot sleep on it. They told me to use Antibactieral Hand Soap on it, but I just couldn't, afraid that I wouldn't get it rinsed good enough. I have used alcohol and ear care stuff. I can move the ring around and it doesn't hurt that much but it does really really hurt when I go to sleep on that side. Is this normaL??
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 01:12 PM
    That is very normal. Cartilage piercings are known for being very tender. You absolutely should not be sleeping on that side. You are going to irritate it and prolong its healing time. Sleep in a different position if possible.

When you were told to use anitbacterial soap, you were given the correct information. Antibacterial soap once a day, not more. Overcleaning will also cause irritation. You should never, under any circumstances, use alcohol on any piercing. Alcohol is entirely too harsh for piercings and will cause problems.
    Melanieoak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Is it too late to be using soap? And it is normal for crusty to be on the ear ring a little little bit?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2008, 12:28 AM
    The "crusties" are normal. What those are is your white blood cells trying to patch the hole that was just created in your body. That is your body's natural defense mechanism. To remove them, soak your ear in warm water for 2 minutes to ensure that the "crusties" are saturated. Then, just simply remove them with a q-tip. The crusties need to be soft to ensure that you do not cause any tissue damage to your ear.

It is not too late to start using soap -- in fact, you should stop what you are doing and start using soap now. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cartilage piercing [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I am thinking of getting my cartilage pierced.. I was wondering how much that would hurt?

Cartilage Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I want to get my own cartilage pierced. Say I am doing it right now, and all I have are cotton balls, a new earring, and an ice cube, could I pierce the cartilage? Or would it not be safe? And where is it okay to pierce the cartialge? Are there dangerous places to peirce it? I'm worried that if I...

Cartilage Piercing [ 16 Answers ]

Is this piercing okay to do with a peircing gun?:D

My cartilage piercing. [ 20 Answers ]

I always wanted my cartilage pierced, just a simple stud. Though, my mother never wanted me to do it. I was at a friends house 2 days ago who has a piercing gun, that is her mothers who has a license for piercings. Anyway, so since I always wanted it done, my friend did it. It's been 2 days, and...

Cartilage piercing [ 32 Answers ]

hi, i just got my cartilage pierced yesterday it was my first time geting in periced too so im alittle freaked out.. and its not a regural stud its like bell bar.. and it hurts like crazy.. the guy who did it said to only clean it when its wet like in the shower.. which i take everyday.. and then...

View more questions Search