Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShinaDrummer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Outlook Archive Folders
    Hello,

I work at the Coast Guard HQ in Washington DC as desktop support technician. A user came to me with an issue stating an Archive folder was created in Outlook 2003 that he did not create. I was stumped as to how this could happen. I don't know whether to believe him but I'm wondering is this possible? He swares he did not create the folder and no other technicians had been around to create it.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 13, 2008, 09:07 AM
    I take it that you are using Exchange Server?

Yes, this is possible and I have seen it happen soooo many times. The user actually did this without really knowing what they are doing.

To see where this happens, right click on your Inbox and select the tab that says AutoArchive. One of the options is to archive older items to a file. The default file is named Archive.PST and it is saved in your profile. This option is available and selectable on every folder that comes with a new mailbox or is created by the user. If the user creates Rules using the Rules Wizard to organize their email in these folders by subject or user, etc. then they can also control the AutoArchive levels for each of their subfolder containers in their mailbox.

This is done so that you can automatically organize and archive your emails as you see fit. As you can see, users that stumble across these settings without truly understanding what they are will swear that they "did no such thing and that it just appeared all by itself".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double set of folders in Outlook 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

In my Outlook 2003 I have 2 sets of identical private folders for my mail, and I can not see how to delete one of them. By right click on one of them there are no possibilities to delete. If I make a subfolder, this will also appear in the other set. If I delete a subfolder in one of them, this...

Outlook Express Folders Backup [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have created many folder and 'message rules' to automatically sort my incoming mail. Since it took me many hours to do this I would like to know if its possible to back all this configuration up? Cheers, Navarre

How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings [ 2 Answers ]

I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?:confused:

Outlook 2003 - checking data file 'Personal Folders' for problems [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to turn this OFF? My computer has a few issues of its own.. nothing that bothers me too bad. Sometimes, it shuts itself down overnight and I usually have evrything still open... like outlook 2003. I know that the problem is NOT with outlook but every time I go to open outlook...

View more questions Search