Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tampaken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2003, 09:05 AM
    Air Conditioner very noisy on defrost
    I have a Carrier 2 1/2 ton heat pump air conditioner. When the heat is on and it goes into the defrost cycle there is a very load humming and/or vibrating sound that last up to 15 seconds. When it comes out of defrost I hear the same sound for about 4 or 5 seconds. Is this normal? I have never heard any of my neighbors AC make this noise. It is so load that it sometimes wakes me up at night.

Thanks for any help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Yes it is normal. Probably the old reversing valve making the noise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamton Bay Fan - Noisy [ 2 Answers ]

The remote control works fine. My problem is a pulsing noise which is loud on high speed and less on each of the other speeds. The blades remain constant on which ever speed that is chosen. I'm looking to find the cause of the pulsing noise. Is it the receiving unit for the remote? Thanks

Ceiling fan too noisy [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a ceiling fan with the toggle dimmer to slow down the fan blade and now the fan motor is too noisy, what can I do to quiet it down. Tony

Buzzing Defrost Relay on Trane Unit [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane unit, VR724E100A0 has been giving be trouble. The fan wouldn't hardly run and I was hearing a faint buzzing noise. It would act like it was trying to run, then slow down, speed up, repeat & finally stop. Turning by hand didn't help. I installed a new run capicator for fan and the fan...

New A/C noisy when running [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently installed a new central a/c. When the compressor kicks on, there is a high-pitched sound coming through the a coil. With just the fan on or the furnace, this noise is not present. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. P.S. The installer isn't sure what it is either

View more questions Search