Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleyl Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 9, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Tax Deductible Mileage
    I was told I could my mileage to school as a tax deduction. I have to drive an hour and a half each way 3 times a week. How do I go about keeping track of it for tax purposes? Do I count the miles there and back home? Or just miles to school. If anyone know how to go about this any info would be great. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2008, 09:00 AM
    You can claim the deduction ONLY IF you are claiming the costs associated with the education as an employee business expense.

The education has to meet some rather stringent requirements to qualify for an employee business expense, and it is an ITEMIZED deduction, which may may make it NOT deductible in the overall picture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas mileage [ 2 Answers ]

What is the gas tank capacity on a 2006 VW Beetle?

Car mileage reimbursement [ 3 Answers ]

I read that the IRS increased the mileage reimbursement to 48.5 cents/mile for business miles driven. Just confirming this info. Also, this is something standard across the nation? Thanks.

Gas mileage not so good! [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchesed a 1995 F-150, inline 300cid.w/std shift. This truck has 74,863 Original miles and has been gargae kepts,show room new,drives,and handles as if it were just off the show room floor. All records of oil changes,(every 3,000 miles),inspections,etc. It should be getting around 15-18...

Improved Gas Mileage [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know if this question even belongs here so move it if necessary but here goes. A friend of mine thinks he wants to get in on a business opportunity that has to do with selling a product meant to improve mileage. Its called "MPG-Cap" from a company called Fuel Freedom International Inc. I...

Best gas mileage cars? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering what cars get the best gas mileage? Not the new hybrids or anything just a normal car. I'm looking for a good gas mileage car for pretty cheap. Some where around the 30 and up mpg and that is not expensive? Thanks

View more questions Search