Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigg_dl86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 07:51 AM
    A refund on my deposit
    If I didn't sign a contract can a car dealer keep a deposit on a vehicle
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

May 9, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Did they give you a receipt on the deposit? Also, what state are you in? If they didn't give you a receipt, or the receipt did not say the deposit was non-refundable, then most likely it is refundable by law.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigg_dl86
    if i didnt sign a contract can a car dealer keep a deposit on a vehicle

I would so, no - there was no meeting of the minds, nothing stating that he got to keep the deposit of the deal didn't go through. If it's non-refundable that should be on paperwor, in the contract, on a receipt.

I'm a little confused because the deposit just ratifies/secures the contract so without a contract what's the point?

What were the circumstances and it varies slightly by State.

May 9, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Well, this is from the State of Oklahoma Used Motor Vehicle and Parts Commission website:

(Are deposits refundable?

If a dealer takes a deposit on a vehicle, the dealer shall give the consumer a written receipt. The receipt should specify the length of time the deposit will hold the vehicle and whether the deposit is refundable. If no written receipt is made or if it is not noted on the receipt that the deposit is not refundable, it shall be deemed to be refundable)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 08:14 AM
    I didn't realize OP is in Oklahoma. It varies from State to State.

May 9, 2008, 08:50 AM
    I don't know where OP is from, but that was just an example

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet Deposit Refund in CA. [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a home in CA that was being rented. We allowed the tenant to stay for two months. At the conclusion, we had to take care of deposit and pet deposit refund. The tenant left dog poop all over the back yard. Not having a dog, this was very irritating and we decided not to refund the...

Deposit refund, no lease [ 4 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement to rent an apartment in Florida. Three days later, on move-in day, I changed my mind. Unfortunately, I had already handed over my deposit, for the first and last weeks and a processing fee, to the manager. She left before I changed my mind. I was then dealing with a...

Deposit Refund [ 2 Answers ]

On February I put an add the newspaper to rent an apartment. This person went to see it and wanted it. But asked me if I could hold apartment for a month because he needed to give a month notice to his landlord. I agreed and received a $500 deposit to hold the apartment at the beginning March...

Security Deposit refund [ 3 Answers ]

New York State... My landlord has sold the property I am renting and has given me 30 days notice (no lease). I asked to use my security deposit as my last month's rent. He told me that my deposit will be transferred to the new owner and the lawyers will return it at the time of their closing. ...

Deposit Refund [ 5 Answers ]

Landlords, How do you normally handle your deposit refund to tenant? Ask them to leave a forwarding address and mail it to them? If so, how long do you wait to mail it to them? Do you have a standard amount you usually deduct for cleaning of the apartment if they left it gross/ dirty? He left...

View more questions Search