Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammysue_11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
    rental repairs
    My fiancé, son, and I have been renting a house for about a year and a half and have a verbal lease/agreement with our landlords who happen to own the business right next to our house. I was wondering if they were responsible for repairs that need to be done to the house. I have asked them numerous times to fix or repair our front door because it doesn't close all the way and every time I asked they have said "We will get around to it. It isn't a high priority for us right now." We have always gotten rent to them in a timely manner so I wanted to know how far I can take this until it gets resolved.

The door not shutting is costing a lot of money for heat(they own the propane company in our town) and I think that may be a reason for their not fixing it yet.

There is a whole load of other things that need to be repaired also that they have just brushed off as well. They tell us we can't even paint in the house because they think it will make the value of the property go down. Can I stop paying rent until these problems get resolved?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
    You should never stop paying rent due to repairs. The landlord can sue you for eviction and will probably win.

Instead you should send the landlord a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, with a copy by regular mail. In the letter you should list all of the necessary repairs. Then say that the front door is an emergency since it creates a security problem and that if they don't repair it within the next 2 days you will have it repaired yourself and deduct the cost from the rent.

If they don't repair it in 2 days then have someone fix it and send your next rent payment minus the cost and include a copy of the receipt for the repair.

As for the other repairs, you can do the same thing with any other items that would be considered emergencies. For non-emergencies, say that you'll give them 30 days to make repairs. If they don't do it within that time then say that you'll have it done yourself and deduct the costs from the rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent raised after repairs made in rental [ 2 Answers ]

Our landlord recently had to replace the heating/cooling system when the old (1969!) one failed. Now they want to increase our rent. My understanding is that in CA a landlord cannot increase one's rent within 6 months of doing any kind of necessary repairs to the property. Is this true? ...

Rental repairs [ 8 Answers ]

My 90-year-old mother lives in a rental house in Lee County. The landlord does very little to maintain the house and now the roof is leaking badly. He has just told her that he does not intend to repair it, and if it "comes down," she will have to move out. He told her that he got an estimate for...

Lease provided repairs vs. Design/decorative repairs? [ 2 Answers ]

Since buying our home we have painted various rooms, replaced old doors with new nice wooden ones and changed out the old closet doors also for new ones. We have re-done the trim work (baseboards and door/window frames) in these areas too. The rest of the home is in good condition, but not newly...

Tax deductions-repairs rental property [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a condo with I rent out. My last tenant moved out in December 2006, and in 2007 I spent about $20k repairing the condo. Is there a dollar limit which can be deducted on Schedule e for these repairs?

Rental Property Repairs. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm curious if anybody knows what the law in Alabama is or if you can direct me to the right people to call to find out what the rule is about repairs and the increased bills due to it. Example; We had a water leak that we noticed a couple months ago. We attempted to contact our...

View more questions Search