Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r71lima5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Should I go from 110 to 220 on my Hot Tub
    Is there a benefit to having converting or purchasing a hot tub with 220 versus 110? I am in the market for a hot tub and wondered which would be more reliable and or beneficial to the operation of the tub as well as the least impact to the running of the rest of the items running within my household.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Any device that uses a large amount of power is best wired with the highest voltage available. There is less loss in the form of unwanted heat in the wiring and the diameter of the wires are smaller. Electric is distributed to your home in the killovolt range and stepped down for these reasons. Transmission lines from the power company may be on the order of 100,000 volts for this same reason. The lower the current, the lower the losses.

Thus, electric water heaters, totally electric furnaces, electric stoves and air conditioners are 240 V. A hot tub falls into this class.

Some parts of a 240 hot tub such as lights will be 120 V. 120V will be available for the tub because usually a neutral is run.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 9, 2008, 01:21 PM
    KISS is correct. If you go with 120 v. you can't operate all the features of a tub at the same time like heating and recirculating.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

May 14, 2008, 03:20 PM
    The ONLY reason to go with 220 would be the speed at which the water heats. The difference in energy costs between the two is so minimal it's almost unmeasurable.

The down sides to 110;

It takes 4 times as long to heat the water. Typically this is only a problem when the water is changed, as it could take over a day to heat the spa to operating temperature.

When using the spa, typically the jets won't run at the same time it's heating up. Depending on how cold it is outside, AND how long you use the spa, it could possibly cool to below the temperature you like.

Even without the jets running, when using the spa (cover off) the water may cool faster than the heater can reheat the water. IF, you use the spa for long periods, you MAY notice the water cooling.

Personally, I have two spas (two places I live), one the heater is gas and heats all the time, as fast as it may loss heat. It never gets cool regardless how I use the spa.

The second is an older (close to vintage :-) 110v spa, with only a 750 watt heater (most 110v heaters are TWICE this size). This is in a colder location. I typically use the spa for about 1/2 hour at a time, with the jets going, and I never notice a temperature drop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search