Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stephanie24p Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Origin of Gas constant R?
    Why is the R used for the ideal gas constant? What does R stand for? Who came up with R?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

May 8, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Since I have no idea what the real answer is, I'll go with what I do best. Make **** up.

The R is remnant of historical physics. Back in the early days, when gun powder was plentiful and cannons were a means to defend ships, people had to figure out what happened with expansion of gasses when powder was lit. They came up with rough equations, and originally started at the beginning of the alphabit with variables. It was the thieves and pirates who popularized the equations, though, through misunderstanding. When the A was present at the beginning, they just couldn't help themselves from adding a few letters. Thus, today, the gas constant:

Arrrrrrrrr.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Which letter would you rather use?
    rmccormick Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2010, 03:13 PM
    This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy as well! I went in search of the answer some time ago, so I'll share what I found out. As usual, the answer relates to a history lesson. It was Clausius in the mid 1800's that refined the conversion factor for converting degrees Celsius to Kelvins (from adding 267 to adding 273 to the Celsius temperature. He did so using the careful experimental data of another French scientist, Regnault. Clausius also noted that Regnault's data indicated that the farther the temperature and pressure conditions were from the condensation point of the gas, the more correctly the Ideal Gas Law applies. In the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, my source was a Journal of Chem. Ed article written by William B. Jensen
    Department of Chemistry, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0172

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Country of origin [ 12 Answers ]

Where did Christianity come from?

Phrase Origin [ 5 Answers ]

I have been unable to find the origin of the phrase "close enough for government work." While it is now derogatory and suggestive of sloppy work, I was under the impression it originated with a meaning just the opposite due to stringent specifications for government construction contracts. ...

Origin of last names [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know the origin of the last names Hester and Cantrell?

The origin [ 1 Answers ]

What is the orign of buddhisim

Last name origin [ 1 Answers ]

Does somebody know where the last name PINSEAU comes from please I need help because my dad told me his great great grandmothers fathers last name was PINSEAU so I decided to search for the origin because it is not a common last name so I was searching for the origin but I did not have one it...

View more questions Search