Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

May 8, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Sudent Line Of Credit.
    To pay for school next year I was planning on getting a student line of credit. I went to the bank and got the information about it. Here are the details...

I wanted it for $8,000
    The interest rate is 5%
    I do not pay a payment on the loan every month, instead I pay the interest every month until I graduate then I start paying off the loan.

My husband said I'll be paying $250 a month in just interest. So, that's $3,000 a year in JUST interest.

Does that sound resonable?. $3,000 a year in interest on just a $8,000 loan?!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Not sure where your husband got his figures. But even with daily compounding that seems off. Ask the bank for an amortization schedule. I think you will find the monthly interest to be about $35, not $250.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

May 8, 2008, 07:18 AM
    That's what I thought, but he called the bank, and he said that's what they told him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2008, 07:42 AM
    So you call the bank and ask for clarification. If you have Excel you can create your own amortization. One month's interest on $8K is $33 and change. Even if you compound daily, its still not more than that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacating a Default Judgement on Large Sudent Loan Prommisory Note [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, First I would like to say thank you for your many post of which I have read. My friends situation A Judgment by default was filed against my friend in Philadelphia. She received mail of the case and did not respond, thus a default judgement was issued. The notice of service states...

Line of credit default [ 5 Answers ]

I owned a business which went under and now I have a 65,000 line of credit which I have een sued for. My father was a silent partner and is being named in the suit. He has CD's retirment savings. If they file a judgment against both of us and I can not pay it will they go after his money? We...

Trade Line vs Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal to add "Trade Line Accounts" or aged Credit Accounts to your Credit Report in order to raise your FICO score and if not way are there companies advertising to add Trade Lines to your credit report will rase your FICO score 200 points in 30-45 days. Most of the companies advertising this...

View more questions Search