Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaltyBob Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 01:17 AM
    Root Canal
    Hi There I just had the first part of a root canal done today... you know the part where they make a nice big hole in the tooth and take everything out... I have a temporary filling for now but I was wondering if there is anything special that I could do to "baby" this thing so there are no complications. The dental office I was at did'nt offer me any direction even when I asked, and I am sure there is something you have to do, this filling does feel a bit fragile as well. Will it harden over time?

Im not sure when I am to go back for the next step of the canal, they didn't tell me.

Also, with something like a root canal, where the dentist is drilling away, shouldn't there be a rubber barrier to prevent flakes of tooth from falling into your throat?

Thanks in advance,

SB
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 01:22 AM
    After the root canal is complete, your own dentist will put a crown on it. I opted for no crown last time because of the expense. Everything is fine and that was a few years ago, however, in July I am hving the filling renewed.

Asking questions and persisting in knowing what is being done and will done always helps. As for the chips, usually they are suctioned out during the procedure.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 03:44 AM
    Yes, your dentist should have used a rubber dam to not only keep things from going down your throat but to also keep the area sterile. The dentist should have flushed the roots out with a solution of water and bleach, he/she then would have left cotton pellets that have been soaked in a sedative/antibacterial solution under the temporary filling.

Your tooth will be a little tender for the next day or two, it's had a lot of filing and reaming done inside the roots. You can take some Ibuprofen or Tylenol if you need to.
    It surprises me that they did not schedule the next appointment. It should be within the next 7-10 days if the tooth is feeling fine.

Tickle is right, a crown should be done after about 6 months (you want to be sure the infection has cleared up). This will keep the tooth strong and prevent it from breaking. Once the nerve has been removed, there is no moisture inside the tooth and it can become very brittle and break easily (depending on where it is in your mouth and your occlusion(bite)).

I hope this helps. Call your dentist today and have them schedule the final root canal appointment. These days root canals are usually completed in one sitting if there infection isn't excessive.
    SaltyBob Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 01:15 PM
    I have called the dental office today and we scheduled the next appointment a week from today. Good to know about the Rubber Dam I will be inquiring about that.

I'm not exactly sure what the dentist did, he didn't explain anything to me as he was doing it, I couldent really ask either (lol) but I know I smelled bleach at one point.

I think a crown is in order, the tooth is on the top, second from the back (no wisdom teeth yet). Its one of the chewing teeth.

Thanks for your help guys!

SB
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Saltybob, I had all great experiences with dentists in my adult life and I still have all my teeth and some crowns. Have had three root canals in the last 30 years, so isn't too bad. I have some bridgework done by an excellent dentist in Toledo Ohio (I am Canadian by by the way with a short respit south of the border). This bridgework is still going strong because I learned early on to take care of my gums and the rest will take care of itself. I wouldn't let them touch my teeth in Singapore, or Calcutta. I came home for the work to be done!

Good luck with your crown work. These are the only teeth you are ever going to have, so take care of them for the rest of your life. I work with seniors and from what I see, dentures aren't a heck of a lot of fun!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Ask your dentist to explain everything he's doing. He legally has to get your consent to proceed with any kind of treatment. As he's getting your consent, that is the time to ask all the questions you have.
    Make a list of concerns/questions and take them to your appointment and don't let him start work until they are answered!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

Root canal [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal and the tooth needs a crown, but I am petrified of the dentist. The tooth never had pain until the dentist touched my tooth two years ago. Now the tooth has pain every now and then. The other night that same tooth had pain, but the pain was gone in the morning. The next...

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

Why not do a root canal before crown [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know why my dentist did 4 crowns 3 weeks ago. It has been hurting very bad and now I need two root canals on two of the teeth.

Post root canal [ 1 Answers ]

I had a root canal done yesterday morning on the last molar, upper left side (not wisdom tooth). On the 4th root, the dentist popped through the tooth (I could feel it and the drill temporarily got stuck). I am still having the same amount of pain and throbbing in the area, which I was told could...

View more questions Search