Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icecream92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Live Scan Law
    I am an Marriage and Family therapist who is applying for an intern number. Employers are asking for permission to do a live scan. I have two DUI's on my record from 1995, should I disclose this information to the potential employer when they ask on the application, "Have you ever been arrested?" What type of information does a live scan report? Will information from 1995 regarding DUI's show up on a live scan?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 02:38 AM
    I don't know how far back a live scan goes. But, if the question on the application is just point blank, "Have you ever been arrested?", then I would suggest writing "Yes.", and explain why if it asks for that. Best to be honest and upfront. 1995 was quite awhile ago...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream92
    I am an Marriage and Family therapist who is applying for an intern number. Employers are asking for permission to do a live scan. I have two DUI's on my record from 1995, should I disclose this information to the potential employer when they ask on the application, "Have you ever been arrested?" What type of information does a live scan report? Will information from 1995 regarding DUI's show up on a live scan?

Well, you actually were arrested so I think the answer to that question is "yes," whether it will show up on a background check.

I don't know what State you are in but if you lie on the application and the truth comes out that State might be very, very reluctant to license you to do any type of counselling of other people.

Don't think you should be punished for 1995 incidents if you've been clean since but also don't think you should lie on the application - about anything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Are you sure they are asking "have you ever been arressted" it is almost always have you ever been convicted.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Are you sure they are asking "have you ever been arressted" it is almost always have you ever been convicted.

Must depend on the type of job - I see more and more "have you ever been arrested" when I'm doing a background check and fewer and fewer "have you ever been convicted ..."

I think NYS is getting very, very tough when a professional license is involved. Can't speak for other States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Promotion, employer requires live scan [ 4 Answers ]

HI To All, Here's some detail about my history, 3 yrs ago, I was caught of theft on employment. The police was called, came and asked me questions, took my id info down but did not booked me nor fingerprint me. About 1 month later, I received a letter from the county court and I...

Will my dismissed case show up on LIVE SCAN? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an excellent job opportunity that has come up but requires LIVE SCAN and a background check. My concern is that I have a past conviction (theft) that was eventually expunged/dismissed by my lawyer and a plea of not guilty was entered. The expungement was granted by the court about 10 years...

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

How do I scan [ 4 Answers ]

I have an all in one print scan copy. How do I know it is connected to the computer? Is that proven in that I can pri9nt from AOL to the printer... then how come it doesn't scan when I am in word it says I am not connected... u know?

View more questions Search