Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Feb 22, 2006, 02:30 AM
    Can a washer be hooked into my shower/tub water and drain?
    Just wanted to say I've been reading all the advice you guys give out and I have to say I think I'm in good hands...
    My question is:

I have a spare room on the other side of my bathroom that my wife wants me to make into a laundry room.. I can get to all the plumbing like the showerhead and faucet and drain of the shower/tub.. how can I connect my washer if its possible?and what parts do I need?thanks for any advice
    TommyP:)

Ps.. the shower/tub is on one side of the wall and the washer will go on the other side.. the tub has around 4ft in front of it before you hit wall.. it seems like the previous owners were going to use the space for maybe a vanity or for cabinets
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Hey Tommy,

I hate to drizzle all over your project but draining your washer into your bathtub isn't too swift a move. Because that's exactly what would happen if you discharged you washer inro the same drainline as your tub. Think about it. The washer pump ejects the discharge with great force into a drain line that has the lowest outlet, your tub drain. If there's the tiniest bit of back pressure guess where the discharge's going. Also you're setting yourself up for a blockage by combining the two drains. Tubs and showers have a hair build up problem in their drainage systems, now add fiber, lint and grease from the soap and you have a combination that will guarantee you experience in snaking out the tub drain line. As a rule we combine the washer and kitchen drains but combining a washer and a tub drain is definitely a bad idea. Regards, tom
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Feb 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
    Thanks for the reply.. good to know that before making a big mistake.. thanks for the info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water through shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Heard some noise in my master bath, looked and saw waste water coming up through shower drain. We plunged it and it went away. Possible causes? Septic tank was just emptied in May. Thanks

Using shower drain for washer - questions [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for any help on my following questions. I am moving our washer/dryer to an existing bathroom. I plan on using what was a shower drain for the washer. We are on a slab and I believe the shower drain is vented already. I plan on installing a check valve to prevent back flow. I...

Covert washer drain to tub drain? [ 3 Answers ]

My downstairs bathroom used to also be the laundry room, but I have relocated the laundry room. I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can I covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete.

Drain water from disposal coming up in basement shower [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the smelly drain water from disposal and washer :confused: come up in basement shower

Cold water pressure in shower and washer only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, As the subject says, I have a huge loss of cold water pressure in my upstairs shower and my downstairs washing machine only. The upstairs and downstairs sinks are all fine (including the sink directly next to the shower in the upstairs bathroom). Taking the shower head off doesn't make a...

View more questions Search