Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lhtran23 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Bullet Through the Apple
    A 0.5kg apple is placed at the edge of a table, 0.8m above the floor. A 10g bullet is shot at the apple in a direction perpendicular to the table's edge. As the bullet passes through the apple, its speed decreases from 600 to 480m/s. The apple falles off the table.
    a) Find the apple's speed immediately after the collision.
    b) How far away in a horizontal direction is the apple going to hit the floor?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 06:07 AM
    We'll be glad to help you with this, but only if you first attempt to solve it on your own. What methods have you tried? Where did you get stuck? Show some effort, and I'm sure someone will help you out.
    robkelly2242 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

May 8, 2008, 08:40 PM
    If the bullet is travelling perpendicular to the table's edge, in many cases the apple will stay on the table.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 9, 2008, 05:56 AM
    The question is poorly worded - who knows what "in a direction perpendicular to the table's edge" means? That doesn't tell you at what angle the bullet was fired relative to the table surface. For example, it could be that the bullet is fired straight down into the top of the apple from above, in which case the apple won't move. However, I think what the question meant to say was "in a direction horizontal to the table and perpendicular to the table's edge." If that's the case, and given that the bullet slows as it proceeds through the apple (i.e, some momentum is transferred to the apple) and the apple is positioned right at the edge of the table, the apple will indeed fall off the table.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bullet accuracy [ 3 Answers ]

After a bullet leaves the barrel the speed of its spin gradually slows down right? And the slower the spin gets the less accurate it is. If I made a bullet that held the speed of its spin throughout its entire flight it would be more accurate at longer distances right?

Bullet accuracy [ 2 Answers ]

If I could make a bullet that would spin faster and spin longer while it is out of the barrel would that make a big difference in the accuracy at longer distances.

Is there a way to 'Bullet Proof' a Promissory Note [ 9 Answers ]

How can I bullet proof a Promissory Note, that I am willing to take as partial payment on my business, so that my note is 'first-in-line' if this person were to ever get sued down the road? Can I file a lien securing the Promissory Note now so it would be ahead of a judgement granted down the road...

Bullet speed ? [ 2 Answers ]

Help me settle a bet. If a man shoots a bullet out of a gun straight up in the air, upon the bullets descent when it returns down and is at the same height as it was initially fired what will its speed be? a) the same speed it left the gun Or b) terminal velocity

View more questions Search