Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puppyluv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
    math 212 homework
    I am absolutely stumped. I have a take-home final for quantitative analysis and quality control that is due tomorrow and there are a few questions that I can't figure out. (I wish I had thought to ask my professor which part of statistics to use to help me but too late now)

In the United States, the 4 blood types (O,A, B, and AB) are distributed as follows:
    Type O: 45%
    Type A: 40%
    Type B: 11%
    Type AB: ?

a. What proportion of this population have type AB blood?
    b. If a citizen is chosen at random, what is the probability that they have type A or type B blood?
    c. If 3 citizens are chosen at random, what is the probability that they have type A or type B blood?
    d. If 5 people are chosen randomly from the entire population, what is the probability that NONE have type O blood?

I know this looks like I'm asking you to do my assignment for me, but I really need help. If anyone can give me some hints or formulas, that would be great. Answers with the explanations would be awesome, that way I can use this question to answer others. (I'm the kind of person that does better with examples and simple instructions instead of long, drawn-out instructions)

Thanks for the answers galactus, I fixed part c so hopefully you can help me out now!
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 03:28 PM
    For part a, the probabilities must add to 1.

Part b, add the probs for type A and B

Part c, you have 3 but said 'both'. Do you mean 2 instead of 3?

Part d. 55% do not have O. So, the prob of choosing 1 person without O is .55

What about for 5 people?
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Now that you've fixed part 3 and you have the solutions to the other questions, you should be able to solve part 3 on your own... considering this is your take home final.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Math homework [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me with my algerbra math homework? I have a bunch of questions I can not figure out how to do

Math - Homework Don't Understand [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone help me solve this questions? Please help!! :( Solve for x 6x^2+20x-25=360

Math Homework [ 3 Answers ]

What number is greater than 0.10 but less than 0.11?

Math Homework [ 2 Answers ]

An executive in an engineering firm earns a monthly salary plus a Christmas bonus of $8,100. If she earns a total of $104,000 per year, what is her monthly salary?

View more questions Search