Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 21, 2006, 09:19 PM
    How Much Savings for Retirement
    A friend is planning on retiring by 50. She asked me how much money she should have in her retirement account in order to retirement.

I gave her two scenarios: (1) with a retirement pension and (2) with no pension.

So, if she has a pension, I told her she needed enough in her retirement account to have the interest cover the difference in the pension and her usual lifestyle expenses.

If she doesn't have a pension, then she needs to have enough in her retirement account so that the interest provides her usual living expenses.

I'm thinking about $1,000,000 in savings; plus $3100 in pensions, would be a reasonable expectation.

What do you think?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2006, 09:55 PM
    How would anyone know?

What are her usual lifestyle expenses? That will make a difference.

At 1,000,000 in savings without a pension, that will give here a yearly taxable income of 40,000 (if invested in a bank).

Is 40,000/yr satisfactory for her?

What is she currently making now? What does she need to live off?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Hi,
    Yes, a million dollars, drawing interested giving somewhere around the $40,000 a year interest income would be good.
    But, Does this include buying Health Insurance? That can be around $800 per month, for a "private" policy.
    Does she pay a mortgage on her home?
    There are many considerations, and she really needs to know her monthly expenses when she retires.
    Both these answers so far indicate having to know how much she will need per month, or per year, to live on.
    I do wish you and she the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Heck I could retire on the 3100 a month and be making more than I am now. So it is a matter of life style. If she normally jets to the mountains for the weekend this isnot enough

If she lives a normal middle class life that should be enough and more.

All you have shown is the payout, not the amount that she believes she needs to pay her current bills and life style.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 23, 2006, 10:41 PM
    Excellent points, thank you.

She received some property in a divorce settlement about 12 years ago that she is selling. She should clear about $1.25 million, which she will then invest.

She will be retiring from the military, so will have a pension that nets about $3100 monthly, and of course- almost free health care. She currently nets about $4700.

Her car is paid for; her mortgage is $882/month. No children. No extravagant habits other than taking a one-week cruise every year. Season tickets to the Globe in San Diego. Season passes to the Zoo.

I wish I could be so secure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Savings deposit [ 3 Answers ]

You deposited $1,000 in a savings account that pays 8 percent interest, compounded quarterly, planning to use it to finish your last year in college. Eighteen months later, you decide to go to the Rocky Mountains to become a ski instructor rather than continue in school, so you close out your...

Savings Gone-checking Acct Is Zero! [ 10 Answers ]

I need help and can't find a single thing about disclosure and banks and credit union. Our credit union offered all of its customers a $500 safety net to cover NSF checks-this started last Oct. Since then, starting in Nov. we began receiving notices for insufficient funds, which the credit union...

Daylight Savings changes & MS Dbs [ 2 Answers ]

With the standard beginning and end dates of daylight savings time changing next year, will any of the MS database products be affected? My site is still using Access 98, as well as 2000, SQL/Server 2000 and Oracle 10. My concern is really for the functions packaged with those database. Will they...

Can we take Retirement savings contributions credit [ 1 Answers ]

We are filing jointly and have made elective deferral to 403(b). The amount on Form 1040 line 38 is under $50,000(excluded my husband's foreign income using Form 2555-EZ). However, for Form 8880 line 8, it says, "See pub. 590 for the amount to enter if you are filing Form 2555-EZ......" As I...

Savings? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and hope to get some replies. I'm thinking of buying a co-op in NY city. I make about 1000 a week and pay 1000 a mo. In rent, my share, Anyway, what would the cost savings be if any should I buy this apt. The mortgage would be about 1600 a mo. Plus 1000 for fees and taxes...

View more questions Search