Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Should young adults be involved in voting in the presidential elections?
    What do you think?
    tishsuz Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by love is abby
    What do you think?
    It would have to depend on the young person. I have seen too many young people who had no idea what the issues were or what the candidate stood for and it is discouraging. They either vote for the best looking, the one their friends are voting for, or the ones mom and dad vote for. Oops, that applies to a lot of older voters too. Maybe there should be a test prior to voting to make sure people understand what they are doing and why.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Every person 18 and over should be involved. Period.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Yes. Civic responsibility is a cornerstone of good citizenship and includes voting, reading a local newspaper, and serving on a jury when called. If one can be drafted to fight in a war at age eighteen, then eighteen year olds should be able to vote and purchase beer and wine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Yes young adults should be, all those 18 ( since they are not adults until them) should vote, they should look at the issues,
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Of course they should, they are the up and coming members of the adult society!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 05:52 AM
    There is no question about it. The voting age is set right in my view. I began participating in politics as a teenager doing canvassing work . George hit the nail on the head talking about civic responsibility .
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 05:55 AM
    If you are old enough to die for your country, you should be old enough to vote for your commander in chief.

I agree with George... they should also be able to buy beer and wine.
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

May 9, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by love is abby
    What do you think?
    Throughout my twenties I opted out of voting. Mainly, because I was too busy partying to care about politics. I always felt guilty about it, but I realized I didn't know enough about the topics to be voting.

I don't think it's a matter of age. There are many 60 year olds who don't know what the heck they're really voting for. If you take the time to educate yourself on the issues and politicians I think everyone of voting age should vote. But if you're too lazy or ignorant to do a little research, I don't think you should vote even if you're 90.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Yes, I know our school system is doing a good job teaching our children about voting. In my area they start in elementary and vote on the same issues as the adults, they even get stickers.
    My son turned 18 this past November the first thing he did was sign up to vote. We went mother and son to the poll, no we did not vote for the same person... much to my dismay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Union drives and Elections [ 2 Answers ]

What are some important tactics one should expect the union to use during the union drive and elections?

Sensitive, High-Level FYEO Memo Concerning 2008 Elections [ 3 Answers ]

For immediate dissemination to those worrying about the W/Cheney/Rove Connection: YouTube - Will Bush Cancel The 2008 Election?

FRIGHTENING video catching Hillary Clinton's elections fraud? [ 21 Answers ]

Should Hillary be sent to jail for this? Should she be held accountable for lying to the American people, and for election fraud? How did Hillary get away with this? This is frightening. What do you make of this: YouTube - The Shocking Video Hillary Does NOT Want You To See! (1of2)...

Voting [ 11 Answers ]

What do you think is the best way to get people to go and vote? I'm not talking about any particular candidate or any particular age group, gender or background. I'm just talking about generally getting people to vote. What do you think is the best way to go about it?

View more questions Search