Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JaiJaiW Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Adding hand rail to existing deck
    We have a 2 year old composite deck that is 16x16. We need to add hand rails and stair rails. Any suggestions on the easiest way to go about this?

Thanks!
    Jaimie
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 7, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Probably easiest to put post on the side of the deck and rails to each post, but without a picture of your deck it is hard to tell you for sure the easiest way.
    JaiJaiW Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 12:24 PM
    I will try to add a picture later. I'll have to see if I can get my digital camera working. It does have composite fascia board which we would remove first of course.

So are you saying attach 4x4's to the outer edge of the existing 4x4's?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding pergola to existing deck [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 12' x 16' deck. Construction is 2x10 ledger attached to house and two 2x10 beams sandwiched around three 6x6 posts (posts are set in concrete piers 4' deep). The beams are set in (cantilevered) about 15" from the outside edge of the deck. The joists are 16" on center and are 2x8's. ...

Adding a new dimmer next to an existing one. [ 2 Answers ]

I successfully installed a dimmer switch in a dinning area however, I have added additional lighting over the bar area next to it. I installed a new dimmer for the new lights by tapping into the top set of wires in the wall wires and now both dimmers are working on both lighted areas. Would you...

Plant tomato hang of hand rail in what? [ 1 Answers ]

I see on TV they have a bag some soil & fertilizer and then put the plant in bag And hang it on hand rail.Has any body try this? What would I use to make myself?

Painting Exterior Wooden Deck Rail [ 3 Answers ]

A treated deck was installed in 2004, no paint or stain at this time. In 2006 I painted the top rail with an exterior wood paint. The painted surface is now chipping and flaking off. I'm assuming that I should have primed it first (ouch). My question is, do I now have to sand this down to a bare...

View more questions Search