Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louisglenda Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Long handicap in horseracing
    Hi
    What does 'long handicap' mean in a race. When it is mentioned it is the bottom few in the list of horses to run. Can anyone help?
    Glenda
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 7, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Long handicap:

The weights are based upon the handicap ratings that each runner is currently on. The race itself will have a maximum weight and a minimum weight. The top rated runner of course carrying top weight and the other runners carrying weight that is reflective of the difference in handicap ratings. Long Handicap runners or Running out of handicap are horses with a rating, in comparison to the top weighted horse, that would leave them with a weight less than the minimum, therefore they are forced to carry the minimum, meaning they are carrying more than they should be.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Out of curiosity, you were asking because of what happened to Eight Bells in the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago? They are saying she was to heavy and too young. Yes, it is complicated and horse racing never used to be, it used to be really quite basic but these thoroughbreds have to meet certain rigid standards. It's a shame really.
    louisglenda Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

May 9, 2008, 12:05 AM
    No it was just a general question. Thanks again
    Glenda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Handicap toilet [ 8 Answers ]

How far from the wall should you install a handicap toilet?

Handicap sister [ 48 Answers ]

I have a handicap sister who lives with me. Nobody has ever gone to court over who is in charge of her. She has lived with me for seven years now. Now I have this older crazy sister. She has filed to be her guardianship and if not she wants to control her check. So we go to chansore court....

Handicap Registration [ 1 Answers ]

Can you pleas tell me how to register as handicapped in Spain, I was recently diagnosed as having Age-related Macular Degeneration.

Golf handicap [ 2 Answers ]

How do you work out a golf handicap?

View more questions Search