Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rowen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2004, 04:10 PM
    Supplemental Heat Light
    Why is my supplemental heat light on when the A/C is running. I can feel warm air coming from a couple of vents. Can the heat pump be disconnected for the time being or does it run with the A/C as well

Thanks, Rainey
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2004, 04:26 PM
    Re: Supplemental Heat Light
    The heat pump must run for both heating and cooling. The supplemental heat should only run in the coldest weather when the heat pump can't extract enough heat form outside to keep the house warm enough. It sounds to me like a relay or a thermostat is stuck and the system is working against itself, the heat pump cooling, and the supplemental elements heating. The unit itself may have a schematic inside a cover or something, or you may have a book with one. If you can't follow one and check to see what is happening, you need to call a qualified service man. In the meantime, you could shut off any breaker labeled as supplemental heat.

This needs prompt attention. A lack of cooling is just the beginning. It will be drawing very high power resulting in a large bill. It may overwork itself and fail, leading to another huge bill.
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2004, 04:31 PM
    In rereading your question, if the air conditioner and heat pump are separate systems, the whole problem may be solved by shutting the heat pump off.

My original answer was for the common system where the heat pump does all the heating and cooling.
    Rowen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2004, 07:20 PM
    Yes I have a big unit in my attic and a small unit outside, which I am thinking is the heat pump. The light is very dim, but I think the strips are coming on. I was'nt sure if I could turn the disconnect off to the outside unit, because I didn't know if it served anything during the cooling prosess. Thanks, Rainey
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2004, 08:31 PM
    There is definitely a fan outside which must run, heating or cooling. You must leave the main outside disconnect on. I am not sure where the compressor or heating strips are. If you can disconnect the heating strips, you can run the unit until the problem is fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane gas/electric. Heat will light but won't stay on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a trane single packaged gas/electric 2 1/2 ton. The gas will light but after about 5 seconds goes off. It does this three times then the system goes into system lockout, no heat. You can reset power and it will start the whole process over. I have changed the ignition plug, flame detector...

Medicare supplemental insurance under age 65 [ 1 Answers ]

What companies provide medicare supplemental insurance to medicare recipients under age 65 (social security disability recipients)?

Emergency Heat Light [ 1 Answers ]

My emergency heat light comes on much too often if its 40 outside the heat strips take over can you tell me why?

View more questions Search