Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brodio Posts: 10, Reputation: 6

May 6, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Ways to Detox off Crystal Meth
    Read First:

Hey everyone first I will write a little bit about me and if you want you can skip that and go to the very end for the basic Question. Im looking for people who have actually had an addition to crystal meth and not people who think they understand what or how it feels (because you don't) As well I'm aware of what it does to your body and how horrible it is.

Personal Life:
    Im a 25 year old male who has been doing club drugs since about 18. I have always liked to party but I did it responsibly. I went to the gym 5 times a week and I looked and felt great. I was very popular with people. I loved to go out with friends and was always very social (with drugs) I have had problems with anxeity and stuff before but I have always managed it OK. I guess my life was OK until I started using meth.

Now after using meth for a few months. I have lost my job, I no longer go to the gym. I look and feel horrible and like I want to die. I have hardly any friends left, and no family. Im sick with MRSA and have sores all over my body. Ive lost about 15 lbs of muscle so far. I never leave my apartment to go out anymore. I don't want to do anything but cyrstal now. I make up excuses to avoid people and stuff. I have been smoking meth for over two weeks now , everyday. I don't sleep for about four days then I start to feel like I'm going insane. I have hulicinated before seeing people that were not even there. To sleep I use Xanax. If I don't have xanax I get nervous big time, and will take two viles of GHB (Liquid not prescription) and overdose myself until I go unconscious. I sometimes go all day without eating. I try to drink lots of healthy shakes as a last attempt to eat. I haven't smiled since the day I started and I know what it does to you I guess what I'm looking for is more support or help from others.

QUESTION

Are there some good ways or tips that personally worked for you in detoxing from meth. I don't think that I can do group because Im to nervous to be around that many people. Im trying to gradually cut down on the amount I'm intaking and also switching to snorting instead of smoking to make things a little better. If you have a success story , I would love to hear how you quit and for how long. Also how do you feel now ? Tell me everything. I guess I'm doing this as a support treatment for me. Everyday feels like I have hit rock bottom and nothing can get any worse until I wake up the next day and can't deal with the pain and smoke tina again. The more upset Im getting the more I'm doing.

Thank you for all your help and support.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Brodio, ;) Hey, just want to be part of your support, I am happy you want to do something about this! I don't have a success story really with meth, I don't know how it all works, but it sure sounds like you have hit rock bottom...
    So here is your start, you ready?
    How to quit using meth
    I read through some of these sites, and it seems as though this is the best "real" info...
    It is going to be hard Brodio,I am wishing you all the best wishes ever. I am sure there will be more and more of us here for your support! Hugs
    shellyjo68 Posts: 100, Reputation: 11

May 8, 2008, 08:54 AM
    It will be a long painful road. If you can get into a 28 day facility it is your best bet but seeing you lost your job I am guessing u have no insurance. 1-888-484-1042 here is one number I found but have not called. Go to your parents. Don't be ashamed. Borrow money to get started in a program. You may qualify for Teen Chanllange I don't know where u are so I cannot give u a number--they have grants and churches will give you money to help out.

May 9, 2008, 11:26 PM
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys.. Just an update so far on me, perhaps somebody in my situation may find it useful to help them quit.
    I have not touched meth in five days! Im very proud of myself and its been so hard in getting back on my feet again. I have one friend left ouf of all of my friends that stood with me and is helping me get back on my feet. I went outside the otherday for the first time in along time. It was very hard . My anxiety was so bad and I was shakey and scared and kept my head down a lot. The best thing to do is to force yourself to go out and interact slowley with people again. It was really hard and I wouldn't leave the house without having a Xanax in my pocket just for a backup. I didn't end up using it but knowing it was there helped. We spent hours outside , walking the streets going into stores and stuff. Not really to buy stuff but just to get back into things again. I smiled I think for the first time in weeks and it felt great, but I definitely have a long ways to go before ever feeling normal again.
    Its still very hard to sleep at night and get up in the day but its one thing at a time. Its been hard to breath and sometimes I have panic attacks if I get to nervous. I had to go to the hospital today because I've been having a lot of belly pains and I was nervous it could have been damage from the drugs. I had to take a half of a Xanax to get there because I was to nervous going there alone. The dr said I was fine and gave me a prescription for Adavan just enough for the weekend and gave me refferals for group support for meth addicts. He said that I can't fight this alone and Im going to need support. He also mentioned how skinny and ill I had looked since that last time I had saw him. Im going to try to do this on my own and with my friend for support.
    So I guess the best method that is working for me is to use Xanax to replace the cravings of the meth. Slowley decrease your usage of the Xanax and only take it when you have to. Its very addictive , but much less harmful then tina. You can ask your dr to set you up on a reduced intake plan of it if you want. I personally just do it myself.
    Your going to cry a ton, but its OK.. Let it all out and when your done cry some more. Its OK , because your going to be thinking the worst possible things when going through withdraws. Im still going through them and want to give up all the time , I think that's why I have belly pains. I still feel really alone and still have that horrible though in my head that makes me want to give up on life all together. You have to fight it and be stronger because you are stronger and you can fight it. I didn't have family support but if you do , that would be the best thing for you I think. I always looked at pictures of my little sister and that's helping me get through it, because its not fair to her to have to live with the pain of seeing her brother die from meth.
    Also most people know this already but avoid sugar at all cost. It will bring back your cravings like crazy and its true!
    I also found that by just keeping my pipe and a small amount of crystal in my room it helped me with quitting. I found I got to nervous by thinking of the idea of not having it. I feel stronger everyday knowing that I can look at it and feel that I'm finally taking control.

Anyway not sure if anyone reads this but if anyone wants to ever chat I'm definitely willing to share ideas on ways to help each other.

We can do it! :)

Brody
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Brodio... Nice job! I am so proud of you! I will respond to you, we may not be on at the same times but I won't let you down with a response. I support your efforts all the way. I have seen first hand what meth can do to a body, mind and soul. But mostly my connection is with relations to the user. I know it can be really hard...
    5 days holy crap that's great, so happy to hear, and remember you can always come here if you start feeling your anxiety come back, just write it down. I won't judge, there is no need for that! Nice job Brodio... see you soon I hope!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2008, 09:59 AM
    My personal experience is with my son who has been meth free for over 7 years now.

What did it take?

I had to move him and his family 200 miles away from anyone he knew. Granted, he was ready to be free from it, he had fallen as low as he could get, was days away from being on the street with no where to go.

It took his determination to make sure that he didn't seek it out after the relocation, but getting him totally away from any easy access was also one of the keys.

I believe there is no drug more dangerous and addictive than this one.

Not sure if you, or anyone reading this knows this but meth works most specifically on the brains pleasure/reward center. It slowly takes the place of ANYTHING that gives an individual the feeling of pleasure or accomplishment and replaces them with the meth. Soon, it becomes the ONLY thing that produces the natural feeling of pleasure.

The bad news is this condition is not totally repairable. Once the damage has been done, it is difficult, perhaps for some, impossible to ever feel as good about things as they did before meth.

I have to say you should be proud of your progress, and I urge you to fight to maintain your resolve, and stay on this path to being free of this crap for good.
    bensmom Posts: 14, Reputation: 5

May 12, 2008, 04:38 PM
    I was addicted to meth when I was about 17-18, like you I was very popular, attractive, had a nice car and so on, I actually never even heard of meth until the first time I tried it, the nice car eventually got crashed, I lost a lot of weight, and started gettting acne, one day I woke up and decided for the first time to quit, I pack up my things and at 18 took all the money I had which was about a grand from selling the drug and moved half way around the world to a town I had never been to and a place where I knew no one. Needless to say I have been sober for 5 years now, I moved back home after about 6 months of sobriety. Being sober meant living, and I chose life, however a lot of my old drug buddies still live the same life, girls that I knew that were pretty at 18 are no longer pretty at 23 and do ungodly things to get their fix, if you can't do it on your own, then a detox faucility would be your best option, most impatients have continued outpatient centers. Best of luck to you

May 14, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Hey everyone! Thanks so much for the responses. I have been clean for ten days now , and I think I'm good and back on my feet again. I still have withdraws from the drug mostly at night time I find. When I lay in bed I think about it more. I find it hard to sleep and I have weird dreams. This is all minor issues and I'm sure will go away soon. Im much more happy but I still find I daze out a lot and sometimes I feel soulless, like I don't care about anything, but I think we all have days like that.

I FEEL GREAT! :o)
    Im getting back my old friends again who don't use. I have started back to the gym, and am eating very healthy. I have support from friends willing to help me get back in shape at the gym and get my life going again. Summer time is just hitting and its beautiful outside. I couldn't imagine sitting inside everyday being to cracked out to go outside and be with friends. Almost all of my anxiety has passed and I can do things on my own again without relying on Xanax or anxiety pills.
    I consider myself lucky that I got out when I did and Im willing to help others as well.
    I guess the best tips are
    1) Get Support from friends or family. If you don't have any.. Try posting an add online like I did and got support from other people.
    2) Rest a lot , try and sleep through most of the detoxing at first.
    3) If your tweaking and need more drugs , Take a Xanax or anxiety pill to calm you down. I always did that and it would make me quit doing more. Also if your sober and are having a craving try taking an axite pill. This method worked for me but you have to becarful because xanax and that stuff is also addictive. Try lowering your dosage and only use it when you have to.
    4) Avoid sugars... Apparently it triggers the same part in your brain that causes you to crave meth. I have been having cravings for sugar like crazy and have been eating it lol.. I found when I had the sugar I felt fine.
    5) Sweat it out. Go to a gym or spa or something and sit in the dry sauna and sweat all the toxins out of your body. Also you can work out if you have energy. Start an exercise program but start slowly. I used to go 5 times a week and I was really in shape and looked great and now I can't do more then seven minutes of cardio. Its frustrating as hell but don't give up you will get better!
    6) Empty out your phone directory of all the dealers and people associted with meth from your phone book. Let them know that your finished using the drug and to respect you and to not contact you anymore. To be honest most people will respect your decision and not bother you anymore since they usually would like nothing more then to quit as well.
    7) Treat yourself out to shopping, or a spa. Get your hair done , go tanning or something. Anything that makes you feel better. For me a big problem of the drug was how horrible I looked it almost made me do more because I was so upset on how tired and run down I looked. I think when we look in a mirror and we look good we also feel good on the inside.

I hope these tips help you as they have for me. If your thinking that its to late to quit , it's not, you can have your life back again. Don't wait any longer to stop though it only makes it harder. The happiest day for me was the day I stepped outside on a beautiful day with my friend after detoxing for awhile, and I smiled and was so happy to be back in control with my life again.

I wish you all the best , please contact me if you have any questions. Enjoy and have a meth free summer!
    shellyjo68 Posts: 100, Reputation: 11

May 19, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Brodio,
    Keep it up! This morning I got the "call" about a 38 yr old kid who died from a heart attack--20 ++ years meth history.

You are doing great. Do you have a plan what to do if you are in a situation with Meth? Just saying "no, thank you" may be hard for you still if it is sitting right there in your face. I know you are avoiding the situations, but you also know you can run into it anywhere. One of the classes I used to teach included making a plan and rehearsing it so that there was no "thinking on your feet". One guy's plan was simply to say "I'm on my way to my mom's, she'll know before I get through the door". Explaining too much to someone will only give them more time to convince you and people don't like to see others change even if it is for the better. It makes us feel uncomfortable---How many of you have been on a diet, lost x-amount of weight so your family wanted to take you to your favorite eatery to celebrate? They just wanted to do something nice for you and know that you have ALWAYS enjoyed eating at Deep Fried Heaven.
    Tralyn Posts: 230, Reputation: 17

May 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Hi all... hope you don't mind a former user dropping in to add my 2 cents...

My biggest advice is to clear your contact list! If you have phone numbers of users, get rid of them, if you see a fellow user on the street, walk away. If you are at a party or get together and see meth or any drug like it's nature there leave immediately. Better yet, if you expect it might be there, do not even go.

I too suffer from anxiety and I found when I used meth that it completely calmed my anxiety - it was indeed the only thing that made me feel 'normal' other than xanax. Truth be told.. I hated the xanax too - super addicting. When you don't take the xanax your body will go through withdrawals (shaking and a lot like a panic attack) - so you think you are panicking and need your xanax. I had to quit the xanax as well - and it wasn't graceful. I was a shaking withdrawing mess for about 2 weeks - but having it out of my system gave me the chance to focus on making my anxiety better. I searched high and low for a natural help with anxiety and have found two things that I recommend you look into. Check out St. Johns Wort. It took about two weeks of taking this natural med for me to feel the results. It has no horrible effects if I stop taking it and it has worked wonders for me. I also found Pure Calm (from Native Remedies online). It works well too.. when anxiety is a little more strong.

You have done very well.. staying away from meth for the time that you have. I have been away from meth for about 3 years now and help my boyfriend to quit using as well. It is something that I can never allow myself to be around - because it's that kind of drug. Once you have felt it's high - you have to stay away if you truly want to be clean of it.

Some doctors do not promote the use of natural medicine... if yours does not I would recommend at least getting a second opinion. That xanax can be bad news... and I know of people who take that as 'happy pills'. I had friends that use that would seek out that drug because it's effects are similar.

Best of luck to you! I'll keep checkin' in!
    xoxolele Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Jun 8, 2008, 02:48 AM

Hey brodio,

I feel your pain. I've been a meth user since I was 14 and I'm now 20. I've tried to quit several times through out the years. I was in rehab at 15 for a year and it was a live in. here is my success story: I've been clean now for about 2 months I know it sounds like nothing but when you're a tweaker its longer then you know. Lol. Before I would quit for like a week and then want it again, and do the whole cycle all over and trust me I think every one who has done it feels great at first but then wants to die, or can't stop thiking about all the negatives. The only reason why I am clean is because I recently got married to my long time boyfriend who also uses meth. He joined the military because he had no motivation to do anything besides use meth. He has been in now for a year and he's a whole different person. While he was in the navy I was still living in cali and using meth everyday, which is normal for me, but I made the decision to move to virginia with him so I could get away from it. I knew that moving entirely away from the scene would be the only way I would be able to stop. I've had counseling treatment centers, rehab, all of that. Only you and yourself can change you addiction. You have to want it more then anyone. And that's the only way you will completely stop. I won't lie even though I haven't done it for a while I really want to do it and I'm pissed that I can't get it. But the best thing was moving because if I was at home in California I would tweaking right now. I suggest you move from where you are and just have time to yourself so you can think about the person you want to be. KeeP US UPDATED! Your giving people like us hope, and even thought your asking people for help, your acyually helping people like me too
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2008, 03:17 AM
    Hello Bro:

I put my pipes on the ground and smashed them, and never did it again. I didn't slow down. I stopped! Ultimately, it's going to be that way for you. You can do it with lots of people supporting you (which I don't think works), or you can just do it quietly, by yourself. In the final anylsis, it's just YOU and the drug.

excon
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Jun 8, 2008, 03:27 AM
    I think an in house program would work for you.
    Who is buying your drugs?
    It sounds as if you need new friends and a new life. I don't think you could do this as an out patient or without help from some one rather than your friends. You need professional help.

Aug 4, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Brodio...

How are you? Haven't heard from you in awhile, hope all is well - here to support you whether things are good or bad. Would love to hear from you!
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 5, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Hi I have never used meth or any other kind of drugs always to scared of wt ua re going though but I have lots of friends that have and I see them all try to quit cold turkey and doing the xanax and things but they never seem to last the only thing I have ever seen work for them in going into a in patient treatment they are usually not very long the longest I think one of my friends ever went was 6 weeks and then when they do get out they are on metadone (sp) I also work with a lady at my job that was on it for years and she said the only way she was able to get away from it was to move out of town and go through treatment at the time though she was in out patient as she had children at home this was over 10+ years ago and then was also on methadone wich to this day she is still on it she says she can not ever go with out it this is something she will have to take the rest of her life as this drug craving will never leave out body and you will always have the cravings for it I think takeing the methadone would be your best bet as I have also know people that have been off it for 7 too 10 years and still go back to it when they have treid to quit and thought they were out of it for good it can take more then 10 years to ever have it out of your system and 20 years down the road you can still relapse this is a hard one to kick I hope I don't take this all worng I'm relly not against you I rely want to see you dooing better and I hope you are I see you have not posted in quite some time and hope to see more postings on here from you as how you are doing and hope you are still clean and if you are congrats and if you aren't well its just the process of getting back on track I know you can do it you sound very strong and best of luck to
    shawna101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 07:20 PM
    The first step is to admit you have a problem.then you go straight to your family that has more than likely been trying to help you all along.rehabilitation is the first step to sobriety then you go from there.you will have counselors and doctors that will help you make the best decisions for your recovery.its different for everybody depending on how long you've used the drugs,the quanities of the drugs you consume on a regular basis and so on... GOOD LUCK!
    azyanhonee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Brodio,

Let me tell you I am a living example of meth using for over 16 yrs. But is now in recovery for 2 years now. I'll be honest, at times I feel like I'm at the brink of relapsing because honestly, I didn't want to give it up, but if I want to stay free from the FEDS and STATE lock ups then I best keep doing what I'm doing. It isn't easy because I love smoking and snorting, but having meth in my life only brought trouble in my life and for 16 yrs. I lost my job, my car, family, not to mention myself confidence of my whole being. I made excuses after excuses, but I can't really say I hit rock bottom literally cause I hustled to earn money. I ended up cooking dope as well as selling dope. I made lots of money and lost lots of money. I had plenty of "friends" when I was at the top of my game , but when I was down I can't recall seeing all those people sticking by me when I didn't have money or dope. Probably a few who REALLY knew me and what I was about, cause those are the ones who knew I'd be right back on top again. I also believed that I didn't need NO MAN in my life to make me happy, all I needed was my dope. I made sure I always had a stash and I did, but as I said before I didn't get anything good out of it, but due time at the feds and state. It's going to be real tough to get rid of this addiction but you can do it, but you got to want to do it. And from your story I advice you to find a tough residential rehab facility, surround yourself with mentors who will encourage you to stop, you NEED support from ALL who can give it to you cause if you don't your life is going to far worse than it already is. Believe me meth is not the answer and by allowing yourself to become more depressed and discouraged of your will and strength that I know you do have in you then you would've just wasted your time posting your bull woes and pity you have for yourself. Remember this: IT CAN'T HAPPEN UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO SURRENDER YOUR ADDICTION. I'm sure you've burned some bridges, but ALWAYS remember that FAMILY WILL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU. ALWAYS. Don't give up on yourself, if I'm able to do it for 2 yrs. Now you can, too. Be strong or you'll wind up dead or in jail or someone's... I've seen it all, but I made sure I had control of the drug when I was using. I never let my appearance get sloppy, oral hygiene as well. Even though I wasn't hungry I made myself eat something (food NOT junk food) I made myself sleep so my eyes wouldn't play tricks on me. You can beat this addiction I know you can, but you got to let it and let GOD and sponsors and mentors to encourage you. It's all up to you, no one else can do this for you but yourself. And it's going to be a battle. I'm always here if you need to talk or need to hear something encouraging and positive. I, too, am still battling my addiction, but I know I'm stronger now, but those temptations are still there. Good luck to you , I know you will succeed and triumph in the end. [email protected]
    homesick4va Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodio
    Read First:

Hey everyone first I will write a little bit about me and if you want you can skip that and goto the very end for the basic Question. Im looking for people who have actually had an addition to crystal meth and not people who think they understand what or how it feels (because you don't) As well im aware of what it does to your body and how horrible it is.

Personal Life:
    Im a 25 year old male who has been doing club drugs since about 18. I have always liked to party but I did it responsibly. I went to the gym 5 times a week and I looked and felt great., I was very popular with people. I loved to go out with friends and was always very social (with drugs) I have had problems with anxeity and stuff before but I have always managed it ok. I guess my life was ok until I started using meth.

Now after using meth for a few months. I have lost my job, I no longer goto the gym. I look and feel horrible and like I want to die. I have hardly any friends left, and no family. Im sick with MRSA and have sores all over my body. Ive lost about 15 lbs of muscle so far. I never leave my apartment to go out anymore. I dont want to do anything but cyrstal now. I make up excuses to avoid people and stuff. I have been smoking meth for over two weeks now , everyday. I dont sleep for about four days then I start to feel like im going insane. I have hulicinated before seeing people that were not even there. To sleep I use Xanax. If i dont have xanax I get nervous big time, and will take two viles of GHB (Liquid not prescription) and overdose myself until I go unconcious. I sometimes go all day without eating. I try to drink lots of healthy shakes as a last attempt to eat. I havnt smiled since the day I started and I know what it does to you I guess what im looking for is more support or help from others.

QUESTION

Are there some good ways or tips that personally worked for you in detoxing from meth. I dont think that I can do group because Im to nervous to be around that many people. Im trying to gradually cut down on the amount im intaking and also switching to snorting instead of smoking to make things a little better. If you have a success story , I would love to hear how you quit and for how long. Also how do you feel now ? Tell me everything. I guess im doing this as a support treatment for me. Everyday feels like I have hit rock bottom and nothing can get any worse until I wake up the next day and can't deal with the pain and smoke tina again. The more upset Im getting the more im doing.

Thank you for all your help and support.
    I could not get clean without going to Narcotics Anonymous. If you are a true addict, you will never be able to stop on your own and stay clean. Go to some meetings if you want to save your life. It's a life or death situation. Good luck.

Aug 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
    I was most definitely a true addict, or rather I am - I am just done now, forever (a decision I make every day of my life)! :) I did not need treatment. That, however, is most certainly not the case for everyone.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Tralyn, thanks for being so honest... good job!

I wonder if Brodio is all right...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The source of detox [ 2 Answers ]

What causes the cramps,insomnia,cold sweats during oxycotin detox

Detox Necessary? [ 2 Answers ]

My best friend is getting ready for a lifestyle change. She has eaten fast food and not done regular exercise for quite some time due to depression. She is currently being treated for depression and now wants to take better care of herself. She is not going on a "diet", but more of just watching...

Crystal meth long term brain damage ? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have been clean now for 33 days off the evil crystal meth and I am wondering if I have brain damage from using meth for almost ten years on and off because it feels to me as if my brain does not work like it used to. I find it hard to study and recall things and sometimes (alot...

Crystal meth and pregnancy [ 17 Answers ]

I was just wondering about the effects on a unborn child if the FATHER was/is an addict?? I wanted to know what, if any side effects a child could have if he used. I'm clean and have never used before, and never would!! Also, this may be a stupid question but does it have any effects on me?? We...

Natural detox [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering what type of food you can eat for a natural detox.

View more questions Search