Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfung Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Simple opt --> h1b Tax Question(s)
    Hi there,

I am a single little Canadian citizen with these characteristics:

OPT from March 23, 2005 to August 17, 2005.
    H1B from September 17, 2005 to present.

1) Does this qualify me for dual residecy?
    2) For two pay periods while I was on OPT (March/April), Social Security and Medicare were deducted from my paycheck. I was told that these deductions can be recovered, but I have received only one W2. Do I need two separate ones in order to recover the respective deductions?
    3) In total, what forms will I need to file?

Thanks so much for your time!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2006, 10:40 PM
    JFung:

I strongly recommend you get professional help from someone versed in both U.S. and Canadian tax law.

Assuming you were on a F-1 visa, you are dual-status alien.

However, I do not know if Canada is taxing your U.S.-based income (I have no expertise in Canadian tax law). If so, you are probably entitled to a credit for paying those taxes.
    jfung Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Thanks for your time ATE - I really appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple equal sign question! [ 2 Answers ]

Here is the problem. I have a proportions question. I have it simplified down to a-12=24. For all I know, a may equal 36. Is there a "might be equal to" sign? If so, describe it, please. Thanks! :D

Simple Question -any advice will be helpful [ 15 Answers ]

I was divorced last year. We have two children and I am still struggling. I was the first signer on my ex-husbands truck, he was the "co-buyer." In our decree he was declared responsible for the truck payment since I have the house and all other debt - which I pay regularly, but not easily. My...

Simple Tax Question [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I've a simple tax question. I was on OPT until September 2005 and my H1 started from October 1st, 2005. I wanted to know what forms do I need to file and what deductions can I claim? I started paying social security and medicare taxes from October 1st. Thank you. Himanshu.

Simple Rotational motion question [ 1 Answers ]

I've been getting help from sparknotes.com and I've come across an example that has stumped me. The page is at http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter10section4.rhtml I'm at example 2 (toward the bottom of the page). The problem comes when they use Newton's second law...

Can anyone solve this simple question? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody explain how to solve this question? 70% of students answered question A correctly, 55% of students answered question B correctly, 20% of students answered neither question correctly. What is the percentage of students answered both question A and B correctly?

View more questions Search