Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FSIMENTAL Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Modification?
    I recently had a baby girl in December, I am married and have an 11 yr. old girl. She lives w/ her mom, stepdad, and 2 yr. old son.

The court appointed me to pay $749.00 in child support (before my new baby was born). Now that I have a newborn, I want to know is it worth it to do a modification.

My income is around $50,000.00.
    She does not work.
    I see my 11 yr. old every other weekend, half of summer & winter vacation.

At the time of my original court hearings, I was making around $10,000.00 less at my old job. So factors are (1) my newborn, (2) my new income.

Thank you very much.
    Sosdog Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2006, 03:28 PM
    Are you asking if you should apply for child support modification for the 11 yr old?

Sos

Feb 21, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Yes...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2006, 03:38 PM
    The amount of children living ( as for as that goes anyone else in your household) has little bearing on how much child support you pay.

Ask the 1000's of men who are re-married with two or three children by their new wife and end up paying more because they get paid more or because the cost of living goes up.

If you go back to get to pay "less" you will end up paying "more" since your income has increased and the cost of living has increased.
    You should actually feel lucky your ex has not thought of going back for more money since you got a raise.

Child support in many places are based strictly by a percent of income at the time of filing. Other times the need or standard of living of the child previous to the divorce is considered. The number of new kids in the household of the person paying the support is never a factor I have ever seen.

Feb 21, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Your child support will not go down. If that is what you are thinking. If you apply for modification from the state, it will go up (increase due to income increase.)

You may talk to your daughters mother though. If she will agree to lower the amount then you may apply and get it lowered.

If what your thinking is that your child support will go down because you have a new baby then the answer is no. your support is based on a per parent income.

Different states vary on the support procedures though.

Sos

Feb 21, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Just by the figures given, and living in California, does the amount of $749.00 sound right? Do we not think it is too high of an amount to pay?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2006, 05:49 PM
    No it would normally be higher based on a 50,000 salary.

But you did not mention if you were providing medical insurance or other benefits for the child.

Feb 22, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Not familiar with CA but it's a little low for my state also.

Sos

Feb 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
    I am paying $380.00 in health/ dental insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support modification [ 1 Answers ]

When my husband divorced his first wife, she was awarded spousal support of $400 a month for 44 months and $400 for child support (one child.) This was based on her making $45,000 a year, while he made $86,000 a year. She had three children from a previous marriage, receiving child support for...

Child Custody Modification [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter was just served with papers and her ex is suing for primary custody. He has a high paying job while our daughter has struggled for two years. She cannot afford an attorney yet must respond in 8 more days or he will win by default. Can she answer his suit and file at the court house on...

Well system modification [ 6 Answers ]

I have decided to post to a forum in the hope of getting some guidance with my well system. I have a new well and system (installed April of 2005) which consists of the following: Well with above ground Myers 220v pump Pressure tank set to 40 psi 200 or 300 gal aeration tank (5'6" high) Myers...

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is still in college and in our divorce agreement was to have support until she reaches 22 if she is a full time student Massachusetts now has guidelines to the age of 23 when the child is a full time student. Is it possible to ask for a modification to the original agreement?

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

I am seeking a modification in my current child support payment. My current payment of $674 is created a financial hardship for me. All my utilities and rental payments are last monthly which cause a greater hardship due to the late fees. I have another child for which I have a voluntarily...

View more questions Search