Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vyki Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Feb 21, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Is wine vegetarian?
    Is wine vegetarian?
    I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2006, 02:13 PM
    No its not unless it actually states so on the label I could go into major detail if you want but you will be asleep by the end of the post, if you really want to know I suggest you ask ben we both have wine expertese but he used to teach and can explain it better than me
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
    Try this link to a UK site:

http://www.smithfieldwine.com/shop2/index.php

Laura,and Ben obviously have good taste... but...

My fav wine is El Vino Callapso. :D
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Feb 21, 2006, 04:15 PM
    an extract from the site above (for those idlers who can't be bothered! ):
    ================
    Wine is made from grapes as we all know, however, to improve wines' clarity they usually undergo a process called "fining". Fining can be as simple as letting nature take its course through gravity. This takes time and is not favoured commercially. Therefore, fining agents are commonly used.

Fining agents used in the production of wine include...

bentonite gelatine enolophin/kieselsol chitosan
    casein polyclar egg albumen isinglass
    carbon sparkolloid

The following fining agents are derived from animal / fish products:

Gelatine
    100% animal derived gelatine. Produced from cooking / controlled partial hydrolysis of fibrous insoluble protein collagen found in bone, tendons, skin and connective tissue.

Albumen
    Egg whites, usually dried or frozen.

Casein
    Is sodium or potassium caseinate which is the primary protein in milk. Both are obtained through the precipitating action of acid on milk.

Isinglass
    Made up of collagen fibres derived from the air bladders of certain fish, usually the swim bladder of the sturgeon.

Chitosan
    Derived from the shells of shellfish and crustaceans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wine and spirits [ 77 Answers ]

I feel a little bit guilty for posting in here while I am in mourning and observing shiva... but I'm having trouble sleeping again and I guess this is a bit of a distraction for me. If you're curious what I'm talking about, please read my thread under bereavement: ...

Wine [ 3 Answers ]

I don't drink, so all wine tastes the same to me. However, I do cook with it. IF a cake recipe calls for sherry or brandy, which of the following would be the closest to it. Cabernet sauvegon, burgundy, chadonnay, marsala, maderia. I have all these but not sherry or brandy.

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

Vegetarian [ 10 Answers ]

My problem is I'm a vegetarian. I want to be, and I am. Too bad my parents won't accept that. I don't eat meat. And I have absoutley no problem when other people do. I just don't like it. I've only reciently confronted my parents about my non meat eating choices. And they've gone balistic. My...

Cooking with wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know why when cooking with wine my sauce comes out bitter. Is it because I didn't cook long enough? David

View more questions Search