Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chellyjelly08 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Probability with the lottery
    In the Maryland Lottery game, the player chooses six different integers from 1-40. If the six numbers match )in any order) the six different winning numbers drawn by the lottery, the player wins the grand prize which starts at 1 million. For each $1 bet, then player must pick two sets of six integers.

what is the probability of winning the grade prize?
    what is the probability of getting no winning numbers?

Need a little help...
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Grand prize: 1 / 40 choose 6 for one set of six numbers so 2*(1 / 40 choose 6) since you get to select two sets of six numbers with one entry.

No winning Numbers: 34 choose 6/ 40 choose 6 for one set of six numbers so (34 choose 6/40 choose 6)^2 since you get to select two sets of six numbers with one entry.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 6, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Ah, come on now, anybody with a brain knows that all lotteries are taxes against people who cannot do math! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

National lottery [ 3 Answers ]

Is uacl universal air courier service a real business in the uk. And allso is uk national lottery international real.

Lottery winnings [ 2 Answers ]

If I win the lottery in pa. but live in md. Who state taxes do I have to pay? Or do I have to pay both states

Simple Lottery [ 1 Answers ]

The problem: You just won the lottery. The jackpot is 10 million, paid in 20 equal, annual payments starting today. In present-value terms, how much did you really win? Use an annual interest rate of 6.6%. Any clues?

Lottery winner [ 3 Answers ]

I've noticed an Ohio store clerk lottery winner of a million dollars, decided to take $50,000 annually for a number of years. After IRS taxes it would be only $34,000 annually. That a 68% tax bite. So I guess IRS has a certain tax rate for gambling proceeds. Too bad You could not include it as...

The Lottery Ticket [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone written a personal study on this short story by Anton Chekhov:)

View more questions Search